Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Question: Body die vs modified full length die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Question: Body die vs modified full length die

[ QUOTE ]
The reason they do it (Sierra full-length sizng cases to test bullets) probably the same reason why Barnes next door does it. Because they have to have ammo that will fit in every test barrel they clamp into the vise. It may or may not be the most accurate way of sizing that particular brass, but it has to be done to make it fit.

[/ QUOTE ]In the beginning, Sierra tried every case sizing method with all sorts of brass makes in all kinds of rifle chambers. They shot thousands and thousands of rounds testing to see what produced the best accuracy. They do now what they learned years ago. Call them and find out. You may be a TEIF person and belong to the FES. But I ain't BSing one bit about full-length sizing.

As for the rest of your comments in the post containg the above, whatever.....
Old 04-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
As for the rest of your comments in the post containg the above, whatever.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that is what I have been saying about 99% of your comments since you joined this forum... <font color="red"> whatever </font>
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

I await your answers with bated breath!

Careful there Thomas , breath baiting is probably not allowed in all states [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

question one , yes !, question two , depends on how you set up the die .

At what point are you annealing ?

Oh and by the way GG and Bart B are really brothers and they want to get a reloading / shooting show syndicated so they picked up on the style of the "Orange county choppers " TV show . They really love each other but the potential producers said that was not " good copy " . [image][/image]

Jim B.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

jimm, if they get married, make sure i get an invite. i would love to watch that reception if our brother alcohol is invited!

i was told by redding they use the same tooling to make the full length and body dies so yes, you could ream the one out to make the other.

as far as sizing the body of the case,more than likely,most of the time, usually [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] it will get squeezed a little.only way it wouldn't, with normal full engagement proceedure,is if your chamber was smaller than sammi specs.then it might not.

when is that wedding anyway? don't want to miss it!
Old 04-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Bronze Member

jimm, what I am trying to get to is a point where my neck sized cases (which at this point in time are requiring a little more effort to chamber)can be reset with neck die and body die combo so that they chamber easier, therefore less torquing/stress on the case in the chamber.
However, if I use the body die to bump the shoulder back, its also resizing the head of the case, so I end up with a "partial full length sized" case, with a slightly smaller internal volume and thus a change to the internal ballistics. The way I see it is that I'm going to have to shoot them once and neck size only after, to get back to my original internal case volume. Am I splitting hairs? Or is this the "curse of the search for the perfect round"?
Oh and I'm destressing or annealing the cases after 4 reloads, using tempilaq to get a constant temperature.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Bronze Member

If I take the body die to the gunsmith who chambered the barrel , would it be possible to ream the body die to the same specs as my chamber? Or is this going to destroy the reamer?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

Thomas,

I use a Lee collet neck die and a Redding body die . Adjust the body die to only set the shoulder back one thou . You will have minimally worked the brass in this way . The Lee collet die only resizes the neck and a great part of using one is that you don't have to lube the case while neck sizing .

I'm not sure if you need to anneal after only 4 firings using the method I described .The Lapua brass I have been using has kept the same "springback" out to 7 firings so far and will probably go longer . I try not to fix it if it ain't broke [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jim B.