Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

question, about sizer ball ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

question, about sizer ball ???

Just wondering what will happen if 275 emory cloth the sizing ball on my redding neck sizer (none bushing ) die..

I am trying to have full neck tension all the way down the neck. While still trying to get .002 neck tension.. I cant achieve this

When I Back off die, I can only get from .275 fired case to .268 resized case neck. I notice my neck doesn't have the same OD thru out neck length. .

How can I effectively get full lenght neck tension of .002 or .001
Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: question, about sizer ball ???

You will probably have to get a set-up to uniform the outsides of the case neck. If you do this process first then you can see if you need to modify the neck ball to achieve the neck tension you desire. Remember, you don't want to reduce neck diameter per se just make them uniform thickness around the case and the length of the neck.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Silver Member

So if I emory cloth the expander ball it will only round the OD right ???
Old 02-26-2014, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

With your current setup are you getting good accuracy? Why are you worrying about having the entire neck exactly the same diameter/neck tension? Are bullets moving in the case during recoil when sitting in the magazine box? Please explain.

If you reduce the size of the sizer ball by sanding with emory cloth you will increase neck tension.

You could talk to Redding. Bet they will suggest you get a bushing die.

I must add that the use of a bushing will not size all of the neck either. There will be a portion near the bottom of the neck that remains larger. It does not affect accuracy.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
With your current setup are you getting good accuracy? Why are you worrying about having the entire neck exactly the same diameter/neck tension? Are bullets moving in the case during recoil when sitting in the magazine box? Please explain.

If you reduce the size of the sizer ball by sanding with emory cloth you will increase neck tension.

You could talk to Redding. Bet they will suggest you get a bushing die.

I must add that the use of a bushing will not size all of the neck either. There will be a portion near the bottom of the neck that remains larger. It does not affect accuracy.
Thanks AZ,

I wasn't sure if the neck should be sized all the way or just a little bit ..

I read lee collet dies do size the entire neck. Not sure if this makes a difference