Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Question about reloading dies for a 7 mm rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 04:46 PM

Question about reloading dies for a 7 mm rem mag

Hello everyone,
New to reloading and I came across a reloading die with 3 dies in the set, my question is, there is a crimp die, is it better to or more accurate to crimp a bullet, or does crimping a bullet add to accuracy?

Last edited by vahena; 03-30-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Question about reloading dies for a 7 mm rem mag

I personally don't crimp any long range bullet I used to crimp some bullets with canelures but I found my groups suffered at extended range so I just get enough neck tension and never crimp but that's just with the 3006 I never had anything any bigger some of the other guys might have other opinions on larger higher recoiling calibers I have never had any bullet shifts in my magazine even with 200gr bullets
Old 03-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

As was stated a crimp will not aid accuracy but it will keep the recoil from moving the bullets around in the cases. I never crimp any rifle loads (I do pistol) but also don't have anything that kicks much past 20 ft lbs. The crimper is usually located in the bullet seating die and getting it to crimp is a matter of adjustment.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineering101 View Post
As was stated a crimp will not aid accuracy but it will keep the recoil from moving the bullets around in the cases. I never crimp any rifle loads (I do pistol) but also don't have anything that kicks much past 20 ft lbs. The crimper is usually located in the bullet seating die and getting it to crimp is a matter of adjustment.
OK, I think I understand movement in the case from recoil and the bullet adjusting themselves. I read somewhere that it allowed the charge to come to full bore before the bullet was pushed out, could that be true?
Also if the crimp is for holding the bullet in its place better in the case, what pistol cartridge should I be crimping, 44 mag and up ? I noticed my 45 acp and 44 mag cartridges are not crimped.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

they say that crimping could aid in velocity because it allows the pressure to come to full potential like you said but I don't believe it I have noticed no significant change in velocity but I have noticed tighter groups by not crimping I have no experience in handguns but if you are shooting factory loads in handgun they will have a crimp but I could be wrong about that my father in law would know that answer but I think that most factory handgun might be crimped
Old 03-30-2014, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

vahena

Now you have opened a can of worms mentioning the 45 ACP and 44 Mag. There are two different types of crimps used for pistol ammo. The taper crimp is typically used for automatics like the 45 ACP and the roll crimp (more easily seen) for revolvers like the 44 Mag. I've never seen any factory pistol ammo that wasn't crimped. You can't roll crimp a 45 ACP and the like because they headspace off the mouth of the case. I'm sure wikapedia or some such could give you the full story on this.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineering101 View Post
vahena

Now you have opened a can of worms mentioning the 45 ACP and 44 Mag. There are two different types of crimps used for pistol ammo. The taper crimp is typically used for automatics like the 45 ACP and the roll crimp (more easily seen) for revolvers like the 44 Mag. I've never seen any factory pistol ammo that wasn't crimped. You can't roll crimp a 45 ACP and the like because they headspace off the mouth of the case. I'm sure wikapedia or some such could give you the full story on this.
Sorry, I never meant to open up acan of worms.
So I guess I got my answer on the crimping of my 7 mm mag, I dont need to crimp them,but what about the 45 acp and the 44 mag in which I will be loading soon also.I have checked my 45s factory bulk supply and the are not crimped, I didnt have a chance to look at the 44 mag factory shells, Why would they have to be crimped? is it because of the recoil?

I do have a question about not crimping the 7 mm rem mag, if not crimped would the bullet leave the cartridge before all the power had time to build up presure in the case, and leave power flash in the barrel , because the bullet left to soon? I hope I am explaining this right.

I want to thank everyone who has responded as I want to do this right and safe, also want accuracy, the main reason I am starting reloading .
Maybe this thread is getting to complicated with all the different loads we are talking about crimping. I mainly want to know about my 7 mm mag as that is going to be my long range rifle and I am looking for 1 ragged hole.
The pistol ammo, maybe should be another thread?