Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Question about powder scales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Gold Member

Question about powder scales

I have been having a problem with my powder scale. At one time it will measure one weight and then it will measure another when I put the same amount of powder in the pan. It will be off by 1 to 1.5gr at times. No matter how many times I put the powder back in the pan and remeasure it, it comes up with a different reading. It's a Cabelas XT-1500 digital scale. I'm sending it back as I'm dissapointed with it. Anyone have suggestions on better scales? I was looking at the rcbs 750 or the lyman 1000.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Question about powder scales

I have had no problems with this scale. It's also accurate to 2/100th's of a grain.

GemPro 250 Digital Scale Review within AccurateShooter.com
Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

R.C.B.S. 505 beam scale. Works in the garage at -6 deg in dead of winter to Las Vegas heat waves in summer, & always reads the same. Handy to have if for no other reason than keeping your digital scale honest. I know its a bit slower, but I wouldnt feel comfortable without one on my loading bench. JMO
Your digital has a 1 1/2 gr margine of error? That's enough to get someone killed if your running top end loads. I would not shoot anything it has measured for safety sake. Please be carefull. Pulling bullets is WAY cheaper than a visit to the E.R.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 09-27-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatyrem View Post
I have been having a problem with my powder scale. At one time it will measure one weight and then it will measure another when I put the same amount of powder in the pan. It will be off by 1 to 1.5gr at times. No matter how many times I put the powder back in the pan and remeasure it, it comes up with a different reading. It's a Cabelas XT-1500 digital scale. I'm sending it back as I'm dissapointed with it. Anyone have suggestions on better scales? I was looking at the rcbs 750 or the lyman 1000.
The RCBS scale is a good scale. Built by PACT in Texas, and not by China.
gary
Old 09-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
R.C.B.S. 505 beam scale. Works in the garage at -6 deg in dead of winter to Las Vegas heat waves in summer, & always reads the same. Handy to have if for no other reason than keeping your digital scale honest. I know its a bit slower, but I wouldnt feel comfortable without one on my loading bench. JMO
Your digital has a 1 1/2 gr margine of error? That's enough to get someone killed if your running top end loads. I would not shoot anything it has measured for safety sake. Please be carefull. Pulling bullets is WAY cheaper than a visit to the E.R.
my beam scale went to the flea market like they all need to go. But if you just gotta use a Model T scale, then at least buy a Ohaus 304. I've done a good bit of checking on the accuracey of beam scales and digital scales over the years in a lab enviourment. The margin of error for the ones I tested were about five hundreths of a grain on one battery powered one and about half that on several Pacts. Used a $10K master scale and then another used to check the master.

gary
Old 09-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

I use a 10-5-10 Scale (i think) from RCBS. Ive calibrated it using lab grade weights. Before i load my .270 150 gn Sierra SBT I put on a 50, 5, 1, gn weights and make sure its accurate. Never had a problem. With H4831 I can see individual grains trickle down.

If your going to spend the time preparing your brass, and plan to shoot under 50 rounds per shooting session you need a balance scale or a lab grade digital. Its the most accurate way to go. Well let me clairify its the most consistent way to go.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have a digital. I was talked out of buying one. Seems a split down the middle crowd. 1/2 say yes 1/2 say no way. I played it safe, but I have 0 personal experience with digitals. I bought the ol' reliable "dinosaur" as some call it. But she's honest. & I'll take slow & honest any day.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 09-27-2011 at 07:58 PM.