Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Question about neck turning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

Re: Question about neck turning

Catshooter is probably right about the views on a no turn chamber,especially with high quality components to start with.There probably arent too many shooters that could make the claim that thier gun shoots better based on the procedure of neck turning alone.I guess I think somewhat along the same lines as meichele.If for no other reason,I neck turn because a uniform neck gives me peace of mind.I cant say my gun is more accurate because of it,although I'd like to think it is. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If I had to cite a reason for turning other than peace of mind,I'd have to say better control over even neck tension with less than high quality brass.Ive also had the same experiences with runout using the expander type dies.It didnt matter where I tried to center the expander stem or anything else I tried,runout was terrible.I switched to a neck bushing die and after firing new brass with this type setup my runout is .001" or less for the most part.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 PM

I do the exact same thing... I think it has helped "marginally"… I thinks it also helps when I weigh and sort…
Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Anyone else use a Wilson Neck Reamer? I've done both turning and reaming and seem to have gravitated to reaming.

Results are seem to be at least as good as (and maybe better?) and definitely a more simple operation than turning.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

Measure the neck wall thickness and sort brass to have the thickness within .0005".In a standard chamber,you will not realize accuracy improvment.It might improve bullet run-out if a bushing type neck sizer is used.No expander ball!
Jim
Old 12-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't go by competition herd movements. Many of these shooters order what others use, enter a lot of events, and shoot, shoot, and shoot, and they win something. The others are doing the same thing, and so the guy who shoots the best wins more often. That's just the way it looks to me. Some in competition, don't know or care about ballistics, some don't experiment, some don't even weigh their powder. They'll claim they do just fine without extra efforts in reloading, and I'm sure they do. But that doesn't mean they couldn't do better. It just means they probably won't.
There is also the possibility that concentric ammo only benefits those with more accurate systems. For example, a 1/2moa system may or may not benefit at all from turning. A 1/8moa system might not get there without it. Anyone would have to consider the distance these MOA designations are referenced to as well. Cuz 1/2moa @1kyd is plenty 'good enough'. So would neck turning help a competitor?
And of coarse there are barrels that shoot what they shoot regardless. Apparently NOBODY knows what actually makes rifles shoot more accurate.
Plenty know what makes em shoot like crap though!

All I'm saying is neck turning won't hurt. If your lazy, or don't want to mess with it for another reason, I'm sure you can find someone competing, maybe even winning, who doesn't do squat. That might make ya feel better in benchrest world.
Now, what ya gonna do in the real world?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Mikecr,

Well put.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

I guess what I was trying to get at with my comment of the bullet becoming the sizer is...even though the neck starts out 0.004" smaller, when the bullet is seated, then the neck is resized and you end up with the same 0.001" neck tension. Has anyone ever tried a bullet pull experiment with different neck sizers? Does it actually increase the neck tension? BTW--I've only been reloading for four years, so I'm still a newby at this. Please excuse my ignorance. Thanks!! Great post!