Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Question about neck turning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Bronze Member

Question about neck turning

I have a question about neck turning that you guys might have some insight into. A year or two ago I bought a Sinclair neck turner. Since then I've gone through and neck turned all the ammo I load except my 375HH. To be honest, I can't say with any certainty that I know whether it helps or not, but it seems like the thing to do.

I've never paid much attention to how much I neck turn them. I mostly just turn new brass enough to make sure it is the same thickness all around, generally cutting as little as possible to achieve this. I then don't normally return them as I continue to load the shells as it seems like there's already little enough brass left on the neck to work with. I suppose that the brass I turn in one batch are all the same. But I don't measure carefully enough to know if the next batch is exactly the same.

Am I doing any good by doing this, or should I be more scientific about it? Any comments about neck turning techniques would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 12-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Question about neck turning

[ QUOTE ]
or should I be more scientific about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like youre on the right track. A couple thing I would pay close attentions to is that you would want to turn all your brass to to be used in the same rifle to be the same thickness. You should have at least .010" of brass. .011 or .012 is better. There is nothing wrong with taking the minimum needed to make a clean neck all the way around. Also take care to turn it all the way to the shoulder so you dont come up with a donut inside the neck later. Whatever you dont turn will end up inside your neck. you MUST TAKE CARE not to bite into the shoulder too much either. Other wise you will weaken the brass there. Next I recomend using a Redding type S neck sizer for concistent neck tension. This is what will make up most of the accuracy benefit. Another benefit is that the bullet is more concentric in relation to the case and therfore the bore. Also when you get ready to turn the brass off of the tool, do it slow so that the surface of the neck is smooth and doesnt have any angled tooling marks.

Hope that helps!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, I can't say with any certainty that I know whether it helps or not, but it seems like the thing to do. Thanks,
Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Ben... there was a time when all "accuracy" shooters thought that you HAD to neck turn cases for accuracy, and it became a standatd MUST DO.

But a lot of things have changed, and now the direction is for "No turn" chambers, even for BR and 1000 yd cases.

I have a 6mmBR that is a tight neck chamber (case neck walls are 0.085"), and I wish I had gotten a NO TURN chamber. When the throat is gone, I will have it punched out with a no turn reamer.

If you take a batch of once fired, turned and un-turned cases, and load them the same... it is extremely rare that you will see any difference.

Instead of taking someone elses word for it (including mine) try it yourself, so you can decide based on your rifle, and not a dozen theories.

LRH member #23
Old 12-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Ben... there was a time when all "accuracy" shooters thought that you HAD to neck turn cases for accuracy, and it became a standatd MUST DO.

But a lot of things have changed, and now the direction is for "No turn" chambers

[/ QUOTE ]

There is alot of truth to this statment. Alot of good shooters dont waste their time turning necks. Personally I enjoy it. So I do it whether my rifle has a tight neck or not. It is just what works for me. I have also had very good results with SAMMI chambers and not neck turning. Neck turning is for if and when you feel it is neccessary to strain nats or split hairs.

Also, I do it because I could never seem to get straight brass with an expander ball. Chalk it up to bad tools, bad technique (most likely bad tequnique) or whatever. The only way I was able to correct it was throw away the expander ball, turn my necks so the dies wouldnt compress them too much if at all, then run them through the neck die. This solved my problems. Please note, not all shooters/reloader have a problem getting straight brass with an expander ball.

Like Catshooter stated, you should try all these things yourself and conclude whether or not it benefits you. What works for me might not work for you or anyone else and vice versa.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Howdy everyone, this is my first post here; I've been reading for quite a while and I finally signed-up. There is a wealth of info here...anyway to the subject...it is my understanding that when you have a neck tension of more than .001" then the bullet becomes the sizer...is this not true?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

old_heli_logger,
Welcome to Long Range Hunting.

To answer your question, yes, it's true, but so it is at 0.001. I believe that 0.002 or 0.003 are more used especially for hunting. Will just hold the bullet better to keep it in place during recoil.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

In a sense, yes, however, when you feed straight brass in a bullet seater with a bullet, squeezing a few thousandths of an inch out, it doesnt have the same effect as an expander ball in a full length die that forces the necks crooked because youre not forcing the necks really tight and then expanding (under force)what would be .010"+ of neck tension out of the brass with the expander ball.