Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Question for 44 mag reloaders........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Question for 44 mag reloaders........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Lil gun in my 44's, 45 LC's and 357's. No black crap, well, very little. A pound lasts forever.
in a 629 or a mod. 29 platform, I'd never ever use H110 powder. Too hard on the action. I like AA #9. Burns very clean and get pretty performance out of it.
gary
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Gold Member

youll have to explain how 110 is harder on an action then aa9. If anything the faster burning aa9 is going to beat a gun up a bit more because to get the same velocitys your going to be running higher pressures with aa9. but neither will beat up a good gun. the crud usually comes from running to low of pressure or if your using cast from the lube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
in a 629 or a mod. 29 platform, I'd never ever use H110 powder. Too hard on the action. I like AA #9. Burns very clean and get pretty performance out of it.
gary
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
youll have to explain how 110 is harder on an action then aa9. If anything the faster burning aa9 is going to beat a gun up a bit more because to get the same velocitys your going to be running higher pressures with aa9. but neither will beat up a good gun. the crud usually comes from running to low of pressure or if your using cast from the lube.
instead of arguing with me, make a quick call to Smith & Wesson. That action was never designed for that kind of pressure that most guys think they will handle. A quick look thru most of the reloading manuals will show virtually all development was dne with a Redhawk or a T/C. The handguns will take a lot more abuse than the 629/29. I started out with some H110 loads, and later tried the #9 combination with the same bullets. The #9 load was noticably milder to shoot while being a tick under 1400 fps (24.0 grains of H110 / 20.0 grains of #9 with a 240 grain bullet) I get 1380 fps with 20 grains of powder thru an 8" barrel. The H110 load in the Speer manual shows about 1450 fps. I'd say that's pretty close to what I measured. Now I do shoot the same bullet in a 12" T/C with H110, and see almost 1700 fps with some serious recoil. All I'm trying to say is that if you are going to use H110, then back the loads off a bit to reduce the pressure factor.

By the way I shoot a Lyman 250 grain cast bullet (Kieth style) with a gas check a lot with about 19.5 grains of #9. I still get slightly under 1400 fps, and the load will shoot in the inch and a half range at fifty yards without any serious effort (probably do a little better than that). Have never tried it at 100 yards as the only 44's I shoot that far are from a T/C or my .445 supermag. The #9 burns very clean, and I get very little leading in the 629, but see it in the T/C.
gary
Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
instead of arguing with me, make a quick call to Smith & Wesson. That action was never designed for that kind of pressure that most guys think they will handle. A quick look thru most of the reloading manuals will show virtually all development was dne with a Redhawk or a T/C. The handguns will take a lot more abuse than the 629/29. I started out with some H110 loads, and later tried the #9 combination with the same bullets. The #9 load was noticably milder to shoot while being a tick under 1400 fps (24.0 grains of H110 / 20.0 grains of #9 with a 240 grain bullet) I get 1380 fps with 20 grains of powder thru an 8" barrel. The H110 load in the Speer manual shows about 1450 fps. I'd say that's pretty close to what I measured. Now I do shoot the same bullet in a 12" T/C with H110, and see almost 1700 fps with some serious recoil. All I'm trying to say is that if you are going to use H110, then back the loads off a bit to reduce the pressure factor.

By the way I shoot a Lyman 250 grain cast bullet (Kieth style) with a gas check a lot with about 19.5 grains of #9. I still get slightly under 1400 fps, and the load will shoot in the inch and a half range at fifty yards without any serious effort (probably do a little better than that). Have never tried it at 100 yards as the only 44's I shoot that far are from a T/C or my .445 supermag. The #9 burns very clean, and I get very little leading in the 629, but see it in the T/C.
gary
SAMMI listes max. CUP pressure for .44mag @ 36,000, why would S&W mafg. a handgun for less than SAMMI max. ?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
SAMMI listes max. CUP pressure for .44mag @ 36,000, why would S&W mafg. a handgun for less than SAMMI max. ?
the 29 platform was designed long before SAMMI ever was thought about. By the way most manuals list loads that are well in 38K+ range of pressures. Now a T/C is good for about 40K max, and your telling me that the 629 is as strong as a Contender!! A Dan Wesson, Super Blackhawk, or a Redhawk maybe, but that's about it
gary
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
the 29 platform was designed long before SAMMI ever was thought about. By the way most manuals list loads that are well in 38K+ range of pressures. Now a T/C is good for about 40K max, and your telling me that the 629 is as strong as a Contender!! A Dan Wesson, Super Blackhawk, or a Redhawk maybe, but that's about it
gary
re read my question . how did T/C contender enter into question ? and, I wasn't aware SAMMI didn't exist before 1978, thought it was more like in the 1920's.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
re read my question . how did T/C contender enter into question ? and, I wasn't aware SAMMI didn't exist before 1978, thought it was more like in the 1920's.
The model 29 was designed in the mid 1950s.

SAMMI was founded in the late 1920s. I know that Smith and Wesson is a member of SAMMI so I can't imagine that any current firearm would not be rated for max. specification.