Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Quality .300 RUM Brass? Fed, Nos or Rem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quality .300 RUM Brass? Fed, Nos or Rem?

Got the call this evening: my gunsmith is starting work on my .300. I want to order 100 new cases and get them all prepped up for when it arrives.

Who is making the most consistent/best .300 RUM brass right now?

Thanks.

Better living through chemistry.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Quality .300 RUM Brass? Fed, Nos or Rem?

I would go with the nosler brass and then Remington. Winchester brass has been so crappy for a while that I don't even look at it as an option anymore.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member

I have used the Nosler custom brass in my 300 RUM and I had good groups using it . Another plus is you have very little prep time with it . On a negative note tho , I couldnt load it hot at all because it would show pressure signs finally someone on this site tld me that the Nosler brass is softer than the remington brass thats why I was getting pressure issues with it. I have started using remington brass and its been pretty good thus far. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Bronze Member

Thank you sir, that is what I was looking for. I'll buy Rem brass then.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Correct me if i'm (it's happened once or twice), you might try the search function here but, IIRC there is a thread discussing the introduction of 300RUM brass from NORMA. If so, that would be a better choice yet.

If not, Rem brass works just fine, I'm using it in my 338RUM. A little more work, but seems strong enough.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Bronze Member

Found the post, did a web search, Norma USA shows loaded ammo on the case with "information coming soon" but no brass. Web search revealed no RUM brass by Norma for sale.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I have used the Nosler custom brass in my 300 RUM and I had good groups using it . Another plus is you have very little prep time with it . On a negative note tho , I couldnt load it hot at all because it would show pressure signs finally someone on this site tld me that the Nosler brass is softer than the remington brass thats why I was getting pressure issues with it. I have started using remington brass and its been pretty good thus far. Good luck with your decision.
Bigbuck, I have discovered the same thing in my RUM with NC brass. Very consistent and nice stuff but it is softer than Remington. My rifle seems to be the most accurate when at max load and the NC shows pressure signs sooner than the Remington brass. Rem brass for me will require neck turning and flashing hole tapering in addition to the regular prep steps before I am satisfied with it.