Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Pulling bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Pulling bullets

Hello all, if I pulled the bullets from some loaded rounds do you think I have to run the brass through the resizing die again. The reason I'm asking is because my sizing die is at Reading right now and I need to get some more rounds for a hunting trip next week. I have some rounds that are loaded up from load development and I was wounded ing if I just used the hammer puller and pulled the bullet, loaded them back up with my load and re seated a bullet. I hope this will work because I really wanna shoot my 338 edge on this elk hunt. If it won't work I guess I'll have to shoot my 6.5x284. Please help me out here.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pulling bullets

With the hammer pull, doesn't all your powder come out, too? If so, you might as well run them back through the sizing die just to be positive you are getting concentric neck-tension.

At the very minimum neck-size them.

Also, you should look into a collet puller that mounts into your press. They work alot better than the hammer pullers.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Yeah the powder will all come out. I'm not worried about that because I have plenty of powder. I would run them through the die but I don't have it. I got a stuck case in my sizing die and had to send it back to redding. I know it isn't the ideal way to do things but I just want to know if it will work so I can load a couple rounds, confirm my dope and take it on an elk hunt.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

Anyone else have any reasons why I should not try this.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

I guess. The neck-tension most likely won't be concentric, but it would work, I suppose. I wouldn't see why not. You might lose some velocity with the looser necks, so I could check your sight-in first.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Perfect. Thanks I guess I can try it then.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

Measure the loaded neck diameter. Pull the bullet. Measure the neck at opposing locations (90 deg). If you have 0.003" or more difference than the loaded dimension, you'll probably have enough tension.

At this point you could seat a bullet back in, part way, without powder, put the bullet against workbench and push some, to check if there's enough tension. If you can't move it easily, you're probably okay.

Don't forget the case is empty. Pull the bullet.