Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Pulled Cabelas bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Pulled Cabelas bullets

Acquired some Cabela's loaded ammo. (44 Mag) Loads were so light they were boring. Pulled them, they had a 10.5 gr charge of unknown powder behind a Hornady 240 gr XTP. MV of 1,050 FPS. Any how I want to replace the powder with stiff load of H110. But I don't know if Cabelas used magnum primers in original charge.Does H110 require a magnum primer ?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pulled Cabelas bullets

Ironically, I would recommend you start low and work up. But, that's the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

I always used WLP in my .44 Mag loads. That's what my Nosler 5 & 6 reloading manual calls for. JohnnyK.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Does H110 require a magnum primer ?
Unfortuantely, even if it doesn't require a magnum primer; that doesn't mean they didn't use one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Ironically, I would recommend you start low and work up. But, that's the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve.
+1

There's a way to do this, without having to pull many more bullets. Hopefully you live close to a range or spot you can shoot/chrono..?

I load one to three cases with a starting charge, and increase each shot with more powder until I find maximum (or the velocity I want). By time I find maximum; I've usually ruined or come close to ruining only one or maybe two cases, but I think that's better than pulling bullets and such, and gives me more cases to work with later.

If you live close to a range, perhaps this would work for you..??

Old 05-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Unfortuantely, even if it doesn't require a magnum primer; that doesn't mean they didn't use one.

+1

There's a way to do this, without having to pull many more bullets. Hopefully you live close to a range or spot you can shoot/chrono..?

I load one to three cases with a starting charge, and increase each shot with more powder until I find maximum (or the velocity I want). By time I find maximum; I've usually ruined or come close to ruining only one or maybe two cases, but I think that's better than pulling bullets and such, and gives me more cases to work with later.

If you live close to a range, perhaps this would work for you..??
How are you ruining your cases ? I've been working with H110 for years. I know what load I like. Its I've always used a magnum primer.The question is what did they use ?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How are you ruining your cases ?
Because some times by time I am seeing definate pressure signs the primer pockets are starting to get loose. A case will have sometimes been loaded 8 or 9 times before I find true "maximum". But I am talking about cases and powders I haven't tried before. Also, wildcat cartridges that don't have published load data out on them.

If you've been using H110 and magnum primers for years, then perhaps this isn't an issue for you. You probably already know about where maximum is with a particular bullet weight.

Quote:
I know what load I like.
Then you also probably know what velocity that load shoots at?? If so, you can load up till you get that velocity. Personally, I really wouldn't feel the need to know what primer they used, I would just want to know that the new load with X primer was safe in my gun and that it was doing what I wanted it to do. Regardless of the primer.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Acquired some Cabela's loaded ammo. (44 Mag) Loads were so light they were boring. Pulled them, they had a 10.5 gr charge of unknown powder behind a Hornady 240 gr XTP. MV of 1,050 FPS. Any how I want to replace the powder with stiff load of H110. But I don't know if Cabelas used magnum primers in original charge.Does H110 require a magnum primer ?
You didn't say what you planned to shoot these rounds thru, but if it is a S&W 629, I'd avoid H110. Too hard on the gun. Try AA #9 at 20.0 grains with a max at 21.5 grains. I shoot a 250 grain bullet with 20.0 grains for 1380 fps out of a 629 Classic with an 8" barrel. Recoil is mild, and I can go another full grain of powder.
gary