Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Published Load Data - How Conservative is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Published Load Data - How Conservative is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
That extra 50fps your yearning for aint worth it. Aint even worth killing a single piece of brass to find it, certainly not worth a rifle or the right hand side of your face.
+1. Don't defy real data based on an assumption that the manual writers are incorporating a safety factor.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

In comparing some "printed" load data's to what SAAMI lists for their specs reveals a lot of differences. Therefore, many of those developing that "printed" load data are measuring both pressure and velocity with a rubber tool.

Few sources of published load data uses SAAMI spec barrels and pressure/velocity measuring systems.

And the biggest variable is the pressure measuring system. Most of it uses the least accurate system of all; the human eye looking at fired cases with all sorts of structural varaibles they don't know about and the human brain evaluating what it sees. To say nothing about the differences in their barrel compared to that used by the published load source.

In second place of variables is the velocity measuring system. A given load will easily have a 100 fps spread across different barrels of the same length. Same spread across several people holding the same rifle to their shoulder shooting the same load.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

I've had a few rifles where the printed max loads could not be safely approached.

Some of the old manuals have loads that are plain hot.

If your velocity is approaching book velocity your pressure is also.

Barrels that are longer, tighter bores, have longer throats, or have different rifling may be faster.

Barrels that are shorter, looser or have smaller chambers and shorter throats are slower.

What that means is that you might well be able to exceed individual loads from a manual due to the characteristics of your rifle but, it won't be a lot, and your loads might very well be too hot in another rifle.

Pressure signs may not show up until well past saami spec..
Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the comments.

At the end of the day it appears that I should really just quit looking for data on the web and stick with what's in the books.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutm View Post
Thanks for all the comments.

At the end of the day it appears that I should really just quit looking for data on the web and stick with what's in the books.

yep!
Just tinker with the load till you like the accuracy..

Most guys will load in ~.5 increments till they see pressure signs.. then you know your limits and how close you are to those limits.
Majority of my rifles are most accurate well below those max pressure signs.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Gold Member

I worked up some loads for a 7 SAUM and after reaching the max and backed down, I got the Berger reloading book and their Max load was just .3 gr more than what I ended up using as my load. Some may be more accurate than others