Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Progressive press requirements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Progressive press requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I think you are going to have issues holding the shoulder bump tolerance you want with any progressive. There are just too many variables and moving parts. I have a LNL AP that I use (and generally like) for pistol and 223. I haven't tried it for truly precision work, but based on what I do use it for I pretty confident it would NOT work for your purposes.
Ive got to agree with ya. I HAD a Dillon 550 and loved it for doing A LOT of pistol shells....from 38 Special to 44 Mag. But for rifle casings...I wont trust it and hence got ride of it
Old 05-26-2013, 05:18 AM
Gold Member

only rifle ammo i load on a progressive is 223 and 308 for the ars. That said ive shot many 3/4 inch 5 shot groups with ars loaded on a progressive. It may not be the ticket for a long range competitor that needs every thousands of an inch at a 1000 yards but for 90 percent of what a guy does they will make ammo as good or better then what there capable of taking advantage of.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 AM

I am not sure why you could not use a Dillon 550. You can can use as a semi progressive, or single stage. Using stick powder you would dump the powder and then weigh on the scale and trickle. I use mine that way and can produce quality ammo. Set your charge a little light so you can trickle. I have found that the Dillon powder measure works just fine. I am not a precision shooter to say the least, but a few years ago if I am not mistaken someone won a 1000 yd. match loading on a 550. Contact Dillon customer service, I am sure someone can tell you all about it. Be sure to get extra powder bars so you don't have to keep changing your settings. The bars stay set, but you need to check if you change lot #'s of powder. I have 2, 550B's, 1 for small primers, and 1 for large. I do not have extra measures, just extra charge bars. I use RCBS X dies for F.L. resizing, Lee Collet dies for necks, Redding body die for bumps, and RCBS Gold Medal for seating. That is about as close as I need to get for my shooting needs. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker that I never use since I got the Dillons.