Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Progressive Press which one is the best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: Progressive Press which one is the best?

Boy oh boy do you guy's make it hard to pick. One question I have is about the Dillon, do you have to use Dillons dies or can you use anyones dies? I am not sure I would load as many rounds as some must be doing. I really only have an interest in the 40 S&W and the 45 ACP. The Dillon does look fast though.
Dave
Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Texas Dave
The dillon can use other dies besides there own. I would advise investing in the dillon carbide dies though. With the carbide dies for the pistol there is no need to lube the cases.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Texasdave,

While you can use dies other than Dillons in their presses (aside from the Square Deal, anyway) you won't want to. Dillon's are very well designed for use in a progressive press and are ideally suited to this sort of operation. The ability to pull the seater plug without removing the die from the press is well worthwhile when you get some lube built up inside, which is inevitable when loading large amounts of lead bullets. Their dies also feature a very generous flair on the mouth, which is important for this type of press.

As far as the lube goes, yeah, go with the carbide dies by all means. I still use some lube, however. With my 1050, I'll use just a very small touch of Imperial on my fingers, which I then run through the brass while loading the hopper. There's so little lube on the cases that you can't even detect it by looking or feeling, but it makes a tremendous diffrence in how smoothly the press operates. Not necessary, but makes things go so much easier.