Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Progressive Press which one is the best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Gold Member

Re: Progressive Press which one is the best?

I have the Hornady LNL press with the brass feeder . I like it it works very good . I've had no trouble with it . Hornady has just came out with a bullet feeder attachment for this press too ,but I think it's for jacketed bullets only .
Old 11-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Silver Member

I grew up with RCBS. I went LEE, and love the simple, and it's effective.

I got the RL550B for .223, it's fast, Dillon backs it up, get parts in three days at no extra cost. It is complicated to run, it taxes my attention to run it and keep up with four stages. I wish I'd invested in a bigger Dillon and incorporate the case trimmer. My Powder measure throws +/- 0.1 gr with Ramshot MT Brand ball/spherical powder. It's plenty for mass production. Recently added the .45acp conversion. It isn't too bad to swap over. Gives you a good time to work on maintenance, clean and lube the ram, etc.

I still load my precision stuff by hand, on the single stage.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

1050 is best. 550 is half best.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Guy's I really appreciate all your input. I want to mull it all over but from reading here it looks like the Hornady is the one to go with. Dillion is close at second. I am supprised no one liked the Rcbs Pro 2000. Hmmm
Thanks so Much
Old 11-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Texas Dave,

Mull it over all you want, but Dillon's the only way to go. The real mulling should go into the 550 vs 650 vs 1050 debate.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

No experience with the 550 but the 650 and case feeder almost 15 years. Outstanding products.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

I keep the ends off each 1000 box of primers I finish on my 550B. Currently the stack is 40 or so tall and I have never replaced a part or done more than regular cleanup/maintenance. I load 5 different calibers and though a complete quick changeover kit is expensive, once you have gone that route you will find it well worth it.

I have run 550Bs, 650s, and the Hornady LnL,I like some things about all of them and none is perfect.

The 550B gets the nod for simplicity of use and I believe long long term reliability, also for price/value. I also think it is easiest to use when doing load development and only loading a few cases each at different specs. I have and like my case feeder as well. I can comfortably load 600 or so an hour and when I was shooting USPSA/IDPA I would sit at this press for hours on end in the winter time filling buckets with loaded ammo for the coming season.

The 650 is faster but don't even consider one without a case feeder, its just pointless. More complicated but runs like a top so does it matter to you? The priming system on the 650 is superior to the 550B in my opinion.

The LnL is well built, I just think warranty is worth something and Dillon's can not be beat. The priming system on the LnL is better than the 550B and just different than the 650. Ergonomics of a LnL without a case feeder are the worst of all three, bad enough that I would not own one without the case feeder.

For Dillon products it is tough to beat Brian Enos's website. Package deals and good advice available there. Brian Enos - Competition Shooting Books, Slide-Glide, DVDs & Reloading

The 1050 is awesome, caliber changes suck though. If money is no object then get a 1050 in each caliber you want to load for