Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Progressive Press which one is the best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Progressive Press which one is the best?

I am looking to buy a progressive press to load handgun ammo. I would like to hear what everyone recomends. I had looked at the Dillion RL 550B and RCBS has the pro 2000. But there might be better seeing as my knowledge is limited. I appreciate all replys and thanks in advance for taking the time to share your experience.
Dave
Old 11-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Progressive Press which one is the best?

You cant go wrong with a Dillion 550B. I've had one for a year or so now and love it. Dillion customer service and no BS warranty is the best.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

I have had the hornady for fifteen years or so and my only complaint is hornady has
sucked on their warranty. I had some issues with the primer feed and ended up paying
for a whole new one to straighten it out. (about 75.00 shipped years ago) I again just
had to pay for some die parts that should have been warrantied. Having said that the
Dillon is much better ... but the cost is about triple or more. That is a direct comparision
between me and a friend and how much we each have invested over the years in just
the presses and shell plates , die bushings..
But his dillon has a bullet feed and a shell hopper. He can load about 3 times as fast.
Dillons reputation for their service is unblemished. If you have the money, go blue.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

The 550 and Hornady's LnL are both good units. I have a 550 my dad has a LnL. IMO, the LnL is more like the 650 model than the 550 but at the cost of the 550. The LnL auto indexes to the next stage where as the 550 does not. IMO, the powder measure is better on the LnL too.

The 550 is an excellent piece and it has proven itself for many, many years that's for sure but for the money the LnL is more bang for your buck.

Now, in saying that, if you're already thinking Dillon, you should go with a Dillon and vice versa if you are thinking Hornady. I say that because it seems like guys who are leaning one way then buy the other, they are never happy with what they bought.

You can't go wrong with either, I just think the LnL offers more features than a 550 for the same or less money.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

I have used Hornady progressive presses for over 20 years. I keep hearing how great the Dillon presses are and from time to time will find a deal on one and buy it. I then realize it is just more hype than Hornady uses and sell the press, have done that with a SDB and a 650 each time keeping and apreciating more my Hornady. Especially if you load many calibers. The dillon is a good machine but cost more for caliber changes, has more parts and can be a bit more difficult to set up.
I currently have a dillon 550b for sale if you choose to go that route. Keep in mind the 550b is not a truely progressive press as it does not auto index.
Shoot me a pm if the 550b fits your needs
Old 11-15-2010, 03:35 AM
Silver Member

Hi There,

I've been a Hornady Progressive press user for many years (over 20) - initially the 1st model 'Hornady Projector progressive' and only recently in the past couple of years upgraded to the Hornady Lock-n-Load progressive. Which after using the first version is a huge upgrade in usability and speed of reloading.

Now, be aware I'm a Hornady loyalist and like the colour red

But, I have very minimal breakdowns: A couple of small issues with the primer feed mechanism on the first version and no issues on the Lock-n-Load at all. It just plain works and works well, is accurate, I can change out dies in a few seconds, shell plate in about a minute and if your purchase the extra powder thrower adapter you can also change that out in about two minutes. This is much easier than 're-adjusting' the thrower for different pistol callibres (read brass heights). I like the 'feel' you get when priming on the down stroke and looking to purchase the auto case feeder attachment very soon, not that I really need it but why not - makes it all just that much easier.

I have good friends that reload on Dillans and they are just as biased as me for my equipment - you would never get them to purchase another press! I personally don't see what all the fuss is for the big blue and I believe there is plenty of bang-for-buck with the big red.

Cheers.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:21 AM
Silver Member

Forgot to mention that the Hornady powder measure is better than the dillon.
My friends that have Dillon machines reload one or two calibers. Many dillon owners buy a second machine rather than change calibers and primer feeds