Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Problems with Neck Sizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Bronze Member

Problems with Neck Sizing

I'm having issues with neck sizing on a 300WSM. I'm using once fired win brass. When i neck size and place the brass in my rifle (without a bullet or powder) my bolt closes hard.

Any ideas?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Problems with Neck Sizing

You need to bump it down with a body die just enough to ease the effort it takes to close the bolt.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

I load for a 300 WSM. I use redding bushing dies with Norma brass and neck size only. Haven't had too many issues.

It could be a shoulder issue. Soft brass might expand so much on the first firing that it is now hard to close the bolt on. Are the once fired cases hard to chamber before being neck sized?

Might be the firing and then resizing of the necks is stretching the neck and the neck is too long for the chamber. Should probably check the max cartridge length an make sure that it is not over after sizing the necks. Which brings up the question: Are you trimming the necks after the resize?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Bronze Member

yes I am trimming after neck sizing. Ill Try adjusting the full length die and bump the shoulder.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

Dumb question...once fired in YOUR gun???
Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

"Any ideas?"

One. FL size.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweek1142 View Post
I'm having issues with neck sizing on a 300WSM. I'm using once fired win brass. When i neck size and place the brass in my rifle (without a bullet or powder) my bolt closes hard.

Any ideas?
Yes, the answer is FL size. 65,000 PSI is not conducive to NS only IF you want the brass to chamber.

NS only is not the cure all pancea some like to promote especially if you like reliability of the gun. The hard chambering issue will hit you at the worst time and that is why the FL size.