Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

problem resizing for head space.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: problem resizing for head space.

"Dirty" sizer dies don't push shoulders forward more than normal.
Normal expander neck drag doesn't pull shoulders forward.
Redding's Comp. shell holders limits, not increases, how far a case can enter the sizer.

The failure to set case shoulders back far enough usually happens when the user is 'adjusting' his die according to 'instructions' rather than what's needed. It's very likely turning the sizer down another 1/16th (4.5 thou) or 18th (9 thou) turn will fix the problem.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

That's assuming that the die isn't already contacting the shell holder, I'm betting it is, so he some how needs to get the case a bit further into the sizing die.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Brad, if you can't set fired case shoulders back far enough with the die and shell holders you have, your rifle chamber may well be a bit short. Others have mentioned this.

I'll add that if it's a standard cartridge headspacing on its shoulder, I'd find a friendly gunsmith to stick a GO headspace gauge in it and see if the chamber's too short. Then you'll have all the good information and be able to do one of two things:

* Get a shorter/lower shell holder; .120" perhaps, instead of the standard .125".

* Grind off a few thousandths off the bottom of your sizing die or the top of your shellholder.

There's a slight chance the die's chambered a bit too deep and it's relative headspace to the shell holder is too long. One can also use a headspace gauge to check this out Most full length sizing dies won't let a GO headspace gauge fit in them with their bottom against the shell holder. This is what's needed to set the fired case shoulder back some nominal amount.

I once put a .270 Win. barrel from an old Model 70 into a newer one and it had .003" too short of headspace. My full length sizing die barely set fired case shoulders back enough to let the bolt close. I took about .005" off the bottom of the die and it worked out well. Most factory ammo would chamber in that barrel with no bolt binding at all.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

RangerBrad, you have two signs of oversizing:
-wedging/stuck cases
-failure to headspace
Other signs will be donuts & frequent need for trimming.

How much is the brass changing in dimension from first firing?
You might finish the fireforming & send 3 unsized cases to JLC Precision for a custom die.

I had the same signs with Tubb's 'Ferrari of die sets' in 6XC, fired from a Tubb2000.
I was using sizing wax which left cases stuck. Fixed with RCBS Case Lube.
Headspacing was all over the map. Fixed with a JLC bushing bump die.
Jim said my fireformed brass indicated a chamber completely incompatibile with Tubb's dies(gross oversizing).
To be fair, McMillan Bros cut the chamber, not Tubb.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

"The failure to set case shoulders back far enough usually happens when the user is 'adjusting' his die according to 'instructions' "

"That's assuming that the die isn't already contacting the shell holder, I'm betting it is, .."

And I'd bet it isn't, not while under the full ram pressure of FL sizing which is what I'm recognising.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"Redding's Comp. shell holders limits, not increases, how far a case can enter the sizer.

The failure to set case shoulders back far enough usually happens when the user is 'adjusting' his die according to 'instructions' rather than what's needed. It's very likely turning the sizer down another 1/16th (4.5 thou) or 18th (9 thou) turn will fix the problem.
Your correct about the shell holders limiting. The die needs to contact the Redding shell holder with a camover at the end of the press stroke. This is per reddings advice over the phone. And back then, at the time the dies had just came out, instructions that came with the bushing dies did not disclose this. Doing the the way I described will make dies set up easy, fast and consistant. Plus I will bet it will cure the problem with not enough shoulder set back.

Jeff