Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Problem Reloading, Brass gets stuck near belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: Problem Reloading, Brass gets stuck near belt

Your powder measure is not going to throw the same exact load with every cycle. Some powders will meter through a measure better than others, also. If you're wanting 1000yd accuracy, you are going to have to expect to weigh your charges each time, or get an electronic dispenser/scale. Most progressive loaders are made to load pistol or small rifle ammo, unless you get up into a commercial application loader. You should be able to find a RCBS combo for around $200. Again, ask around for opinions and experience before you drop your $$$. Good luck.

PS.. You might want to talk to someone about equipment that is not trying to sell you what they have instead of what you need.
Again, Just sayin'.....

Last edited by bb204; 09-07-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added
Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 PM

Well after talking with dillon and redding, I was confident that I screwed up on putting the spray lube on my brass and I didn't allow it to dry sufficiently (5 minutes). So after getting off the phone I tried spraying some on the brass, allowed it to dry, put one in the press and officially got it stuck for good. The brass got stuck in the exact same place as before, only this time when I tried to get it released the brass pulled up out of the shell holder and is now stuck inside the die!! Time to try to figure out how the heck I'm going to get it out of there without killing my die.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

I have a lee classic and a rcbs rockchucker and both work great at reloading the 300 win mag.
robster
Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Thing 1. Don't use your phone anymore!
Thing 2. The first guy gave you the correct advice and you ignored him, don't do that again.
Thing 3. Sell the Dillon and get a solid RCBS or what ever.
Thing 4. Take the spray and use it on the neighbor's dog that pees on your clearcoated wheels. Go and get you a little tin of Imperial Sizing Wax and you will be good to go.
Thing 5. I think it is RCBS but might be someone else who sells the "stuck case remover". However you can use the search function and find numerous threads where others have stuck cases and gotten home remedies that work.
Thing 6 You only have about 247 more mistakes to make before you will have done them all. Cheer up, some of them make loud noises and cause fingers, thumbs, and gun parts to fly in all directions.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Thing 1. Don't use your phone anymore!
Thing 2. The first guy gave you the correct advice and you ignored him, don't do that again.
Thing 3. Sell the Dillon and get a solid RCBS or what ever.
Thing 4. Take the spray and use it on the neighbor's dog that pees on your clearcoated wheels. Go and get you a little tin of Imperial Sizing Wax and you will be good to go.
Thing 5. I think it is RCBS but might be someone else who sells the "stuck case remover". However you can use the search function and find numerous threads where others have stuck cases and gotten home remedies that work.
Thing 6 You only have about 247 more mistakes to make before you will have done them all. Cheer up, some of them make loud noises and cause fingers, thumbs, and gun parts to fly in all directions.
BB
I thought you went hunt'n, or are you going to take the rest of the Fall off and just play on the internet?
Good to hear from you, but where are the pics from all the critters you kilt, sorry, Harvested.
Be safe.
Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

jazzato, like bb says get a different press. I also have a dillion 550B but, I only load pistol and small rifle on it. I also have a redding T7 turret press that I do all my large rifle cases on. the dillion is great press for what it is intended for but magnum cartridges are not it. I use the spray lube on my black powder cases but not my magnums. Like BB says, get a tin of imperial die sizing wax, it is about the best stuff for the large cases. A rockchucker or like press will be what you need. RCBS makes a stuck case remover that works very good. Do some reading on the different steps of reloading and things will go much better. No crimp needed on your cartridge either.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
BB
I thought you went hunt'n, or are you going to take the rest of the Fall off and just play on the internet?
Good to hear from you, but where are the pics from all the critters you kilt, sorry, Harvested.
Be safe.
Dave
Toting out elk by yourself is hard work! I had to come home and rest up.

Len has the pictures and story for the next newsletter.

Heading to Wyoming for antelope on the 19th and then back over to Utah for more toting out of elk. First, I may give Md deer one day of effort with the bow before I leave.