Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Problem Reloading, Brass gets stuck near belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM

Problem Reloading, Brass gets stuck near belt

I just got into reloading, I'm using once shot brass (HSM ammo)that I shot out of a custom made .300 WM. When I measure just above the base of the brass (I guess this is called the belt) on my unshot ammo it measures .507, on my shot ammo it measures around .513, so it is expanding I'm assuming in my chamber.
I purchased a 2 die set from Redding (competition bullet seater and FL sizing dies for $140 from midwayusa. I want to get accurate target shooting at 1000 yards so I spent extra after talking with someone from Dillon, I'm using a new Dillon 550b press. Here are my questions, sorry if they are dumb, I'm a newbie:

1. I can't get the brass to FL size at station one because it hits about 1/4 inch above the belt area which is .006 larger than an unshot case and gets stuck in my die, even when using lube.
2. My bullets fall thru the neck when I place them on the dillon press for bullet seating. Is this because I'm not FL sizing and the neck isn't getting sized properly (I adjusted a the deprimer pin down because I couldn't get the die to FL size?
3. Also I'm havingtrouble with powder charges not being even using a Dillon scale? I'm using H1000 powder that looks like tiny cylinder shapes, not balls. Maybe it isn't feeding properly, I'm getting .5 gr changes from bullet to bullet.
4. I didn't even get a crimping die, don't I need that, they guy from Dillon said I didn't when reloading for .300 wm?? When I put a bullet into the 3rd stage of the press (bullet seating) it comes out and I can pull the bullet right out, there not tight at all.
Confused after 5 hrs of every stage not working properly and need help!!
Thanks
Jamey
Old 09-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Re: Problem Reloading, Brass gets stuck near belt

One thing I forgot to add. I measured the inside diameter of the FL die and it measures .507, the same as my unshot HSM ammo. When the die is out of the press I can slide unshot ammo all the way up to the belt portion, which is what I'm assuming I should be able to do with the shot ammo. For some reason my cases are expanded to .513 about a .25 inches above the belt and that is where they are sticking. Do I need a different or custom die or something that will size just that lower portion of the case, then put it thru this competition FL sizer too.
Thanks again!
Jamey
Old 09-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Gold Member

I'm not real sure a progressive press is what you want for belted magnum cases. The reason you are not able to resize the case fully is that you are not getting the case far enough into the die. I would hazard a guess that that's also the reason that you are not sizing the neck either. The bottom of the resizing die needs to make FIRM contact with the shell holder/plate. Personally, I would trade in the 550 for a good single stage press, but I know that isn't what you want to hear. The bottom line is that you are not resizing the case fully. Good luck, and God Bless.

Jim

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 09-06-2010, 03:46 PM

Jim,
Thanks for reply, I think I found my solution atleast partially. I read that belted magnums usually expand just above the belt and this Larry fella sells a collet die that reduces the size down to .510 from the expanded .513, I emailed them to see if i can get it to reduce it down to .507 which is the inside diameter of my FL Redding Type S die.

Here is his website, click on collet die, it is supposed to be universal for all belted magnums. I don't think sending back the press is an option, haha, it is too nice

Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment

Jamey
Old 09-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Silver Member

Are you using a powder measure, or are you weighing each charge ? If you're using a powder measure, you will need to set it light and trickle the last few tenths to be right. It also sounds like your shell holder is not contacting the sizing die during resizing, as was said before. If this is the case, the collet die won't help you. I would check my die adjustmen before I spent any more money on parts. JMHO
Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 AM

I have the belted magnum powder measure setup for the dillon press, so it throws powder higher than 50 grs. I think I'll call dillon today and see if that stick type powder might not feed as well as ball powder.
Thanks
Jamey
Old 09-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Update:
Just got off the phone with Redding , where I got my dies, and they said I need to get a different press, that a progressive like the dillon 550 won't have enough leverage to get over the bulge in the "web" and there is no need for a collet type die. I'm really getting confused and discouraged about this now. Time to call dillon.
Jamey