Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

problem bumping shoulder back

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

problem bumping shoulder back

I'm having a problem that I haven't had before and I have loaded only about 1200 rifle rounds. I'm trying to bump the shoulder back 2 thou with a FL sizing die. I can only get it bumped back 1 thou. The cartridge is 300 win mag, RCBS FL sizing die, Lee press, RCBS shell holder. Normally I can bump the shoulder back as much as I want to : 2 to 5 thou. I've tried resetting the die until it just touches the shell holder with the ram all the way up and then rotating the die 1/16 to 1/8 turns at a time after sizing a cartridge. Still will only bump the shoulder back 1 thou. I've gone 3/8 of a turn and the ram won't hardly cam over, but still only 1 thou of shoulder bump. I've tried several different cartridges and still only 1 thou.
Maybe I'm doing something dumb, but I don't know what it is.
HELP!
Thanks.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: problem bumping shoulder back

Your either going to have to shave down the bottom of your sizing die or shave a little off the top of your shell holder.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Try going the opposite way & backing off on the die. Too much body sizing can push shoulders forward.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Bronze Member

Did this problem just start or has it been like this all along? I have also noticed that with my RCBS die it has a hard time doing a good bump. So I'll be following this thread.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Redding makes a shell holder set that gives you the different heights to bump the shoulder more or less. I would try them before cutting on die or shell holder.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEMP View Post
Did this problem just start or has it been like this all along? I have also noticed that with my RCBS die it has a hard time doing a good bump. So I'll be following this thread.
This just started last night for the first time. I have never had this problem before. Before I could bump the shoulder 2 to 4 thou without going past 1/4 turn after the die touched the shell holder. I have since tried 2 other shell holders; another RCBS and a Lee shell holder. All 3 did exactly the same. I measured the distance from where the cartridge base sits to the top of the rim. All 3 measured EXACTLY the same. I thoroughly cleaned all 3 and no effect. I tried a different press, a Hornady, and it did the same. So I've tried different shell holders and a different press.
Now what???
Old 06-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax1800 View Post
Now what???
Did you try backing off on your adjustment?

Just a theory;
Take the die down to just kissing the shell holder, then back it off 3/4 of a turn. Lube a case, size it, dry it, feel the chambering of it with the firing pin/spring removed. If you feel resistance adjust down no more than 1/8 of a turn & repeat this cycle until you're just clear of chambering resistance.
Don't tighten the die until sneaking up on a good bump, then back it off a smidge and tighten locked ring with a wrench.
Trial & error(measure)

With careful comparison measurement(depending on shoulder angle), this should put you 1-2thou of head space, which is plenty.
Some FL dies adjusted to shell holder as a 'standard', would set back shoulders enough for ammo to fit in ANY SAAMI chamber. But this could be too much for your chamber(excessive), and shorten case life.
While you had 4thou it was too much IMO. So adjusting downward from there seems counter productive.