Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Problem with belt cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Problem with belt cartridge

Mada,

Don't skip the resizing step, even if you "can" in some cases. Ideally, you want your ammo (especially hunting ammo) to chamber just like the factory stuff does; smoothly with virtually no pronounced resistance. Neck sizing will eventually give you problems unless you really (REALLY!) watch your measurments closely, each and every time you process the cases. I recommend full length sizing as a general rule, with very few exceptions. Life's just easier that way.

Boomtube's perfectly correct here, also, in that some cases can be neck sized by backing off a F/L die, but most cannot. Depends on the configuration of the case, but as a rule, backing off a F/L die actually results in what's correctly known as "partial sizing." To my mind, that's a bit of a non-solution, and brings its own problems to the mix. Full length size using a full length die, and neck size (if you must) using a proper neck size die made for the task.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo View Post
I have one of these dies. It works. Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment
+1 for the larry willis collet die , this will take care of your problem with reloading belted cases, just dont over lube your case necks....
Old 09-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Mada,

No, neck sizing is a different issue, and it cannot be doen (in most cases) by simply backing off a FL die. You need a true Neck Sizing die if you're going to do this, one that touches only the neck and is not touching the body. Personally, I reccomend against it, particularly for hinting ammunition. You'll eventually have chambering issues with this, and it will usually manage to come at a very inopportune time.

Try the lube solution first, but stick to the FL sizing. I usually recommend a chamber type gage, such as the Wilsons, or a bump gage like the Hornady or Sinclair, just to make sure you're getting adequate clearance where needed, and no more.
Wouldnt it be wise to chamber the cartridge after neck sizing, if I do, to avoid the problems of not being able to chamber the cartridge in the field?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpro440 View Post
+1 for the larry willis collet die , this will take care of your problem with reloading belted cases, just dont over lube your case necks....
I've read on these collets, but they are expensive.. especially for my pocket. I would buy them if I found no other way around it. 89 bucks D: I'd rather neck size since I have just one rifle for each load
Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Gold Member

I've never seen the need for the collet die . I load 7 rem mag , 300 wby . I just use regular dies and never had a problem . what problem were you getting that the collet die corrected ? thanks Jim
Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

derrick , You are using other peoples brass in your gun so there chamber is not the same as yours. So you want to size the base of the case just above the rim with larry willis die because standard dies will not resize all the way down like the larry willis die. Also after you fire them in your gun and resize them several times they may expand at the base of the case just from the pressure and you will have the die to fix your problem... its your choice to buy new brass or buy the die. I shoot my new brass 6-8 times and borrow a friends die to fix mine, then I am good to go for a few more reloads. good luck, I hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbires View Post
I've never seen the need for the collet die . I load 7 rem mag , 300 wby . I just use regular dies and never had a problem . what problem were you getting that the collet die corrected ? thanks Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpro440 View Post
derrick , You are using other peoples brass in your gun so there chamber is not the same as yours. So you want to size the base of the case just above the rim with larry willis die because standard dies will not resize all the way down like the larry willis die. Also after you fire them in your gun and resize them several times they may expand at the base of the case just from the pressure and you will have the die to fix your problem... its your choice to buy new brass or buy the die. I shoot my new brass 6-8 times and borrow a friends die to fix mine, then I am good to go for a few more reloads. good luck, I hope this helps.

I only have used brass from my gun . I know I have brass with 7+ fires on them without problems . I guess I'm just lucky . thanks Jim