Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Problem with belt cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Problem with belt cartridge

It sounds like I have a similar problem with my 270 Win.

It's simply hard to FL size even with a Forster Coax Press and Imperial Sizing Wax. Apparently my chamber is at or a wee bit over max diameter at the base.

I intend to get a neck or collet die and only FL size every 3rd or 4th firing to avoid working the brass (and my elbow) more than necessary.

Nonetheless, Kevin and others make a valid point about ending up with ammo that may be hard to chamber at the worst time. ..or, worse yet, stick.

I figure I'll keep some premium FL sized loads around for hunting. Of course, you need good dope since the MV, etc may not be the same.

I'll probably rebarrel before too long anyways.

Happy hunting.
-- richard
Old 09-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

The idea of 'neck sizing' by backing a FL die off a bit is common but flawed. A LOT of very intelligent and very knowledgeable reloaders would challange the use of FL dies to neck size; if it was really that simple there would be no market for dedicated neck sizing dies.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info, and since we're still on the subject, I understand that resizing IS a step in reloading (of course) but if i'm just reloading for ONE rifle. and the cartridge does chamber just fine. Can I skip the step of resizing and proceed to reloading the cartridge?

btw, I plan on reloading for both hunting and getting the best accuracy out of my rifle for goal of becomming a 1k yard member.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mada View Post
Thanks for the info, and since we're still on the subject, I understand that resizing IS a step in reloading (of course) but if i'm just reloading for ONE rifle. and the cartridge does chamber just fine. Can I skip the step of resizing and proceed to reloading the cartridge?

btw, I plan on reloading for both hunting and getting the best accuracy out of my rifle for goal of becomming a 1k yard member.
You could try scotch tape to hold the bullet in the neck. But, it'd probably be better to at least size part of the neck down about .001-.002" smaller than the bullet so that it won't fall out before you squeeze the trigger.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Bronze Member

oh.. i was thinking more on the duct tape ;)
Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mada View Post
oh.. i was thinking more on the duct tape ;)
lol

sorry... I couldn't resist a little humor
Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Bronze Member

time to buy off the internet for some of that imperial size wax.... UGH... the joys of reloading in vegas *sigh*