Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Priming tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 02:30 AM
Silver Member

Re: Priming tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva54 View Post
what about priming off the press pros & cons
Pro: It works when you don't have the right shell holder for your lee autoprime

Con: Takes forever and you have to finger the each primer.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
I have and use both. I think for all out speed and ease of use, I favor the Lee, I also think the feel is better with the Lee. After a few thousand rounds (probably 6-8000), the plastic bushing that surrounds the shaft that seats the primer gets oblong and starts hanging up. Then it's time to replace the unit. Luckily, you have different parts for small and large primers, so if you reload both, you have to reload a lot to wear it out (I've worn out one for small and one for large over the last 5 years).

I bought the RCBS because there was no way to use the Lee to prime the 408 Cheytac case (338 Allen Mag). In fact, I had to modify the RCBS so the 408CT shellholder would even fit! So I just leave it setup for the 338Allen mag and use the Lee for everything else.

Unless they've changed the mold, you need to open up the area around the shellholder on the Lee to fit the WSM size cases (2 minutes with a dremel and you're good to go).

The one thing I don't like about the RCBS is that the 'push rod' that actually seats the primers can fall out or easily get misplaced as nothing holds it in. Nothing like that is loose on the Lee. Also, switching shellholders on the RCBS is slower, as you have to remove a nut and the safety bar to swap shellholders (the Lee takes about 5 seconds to swap shellholders, but it doesn't use standard holders).

Cost wise, the Lee is really cheap but you need the matching shell holders (get a kit that fits most shells for $13 or so).

Overall, I like the Lee and recommend it.

HTH

AJ
+1 covered it all I think!
Old 03-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog1m View Post
finger the each primer.
I don't finger any primers.

Read your other post, my son just got off post too and got a DUI. Some mid twenty young woman, she was plastered and he told her he wanted to cuff her only as a formality while he ran her license. Once cuffed he advises her she's going to jail and that's when she decided to up the charge to a felony by kicking him in the chest while putting her in the backseat. It's crazy out there, take care.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

Looks like the K&M and the Sinclair are very similar.

Tom
Old 03-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
I don't finger any primers.

Read your other post, my son just got off post too and got a DUI. Some mid twenty young woman, she was plastered and he told her he wanted to cuff her only as a formality while he ran her license. Once cuffed he advises her she's going to jail and that's when she decided to up the charge to a felony by kicking him in the chest while putting her in the backseat. It's crazy out there, take care.
Hummmm...is primers a code word for something I should know about???

Ya, I've had way more women assault me than men. I've actually pondered it a lot. I think women know I won't throttle them off camera. Men on the other hand always have that possibility in the back of their mind and they seem to mind their p's and q's a bit more. Where does your son work?

Sorry, did we just hi-jack another thread?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statjunk View Post
Looks like the K&M and the Sinclair are very similar.

Tom
Nice tools but you have to handle the primers somehow. Also big $$$. You can get the same thing done faster and cheaper with the Lee.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

roaddog1m, he's with FHP in Jacksonville FL mostly runs up and down I-95. No hijacking...back to primer tools.