Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Priming tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Bronze Member

Priming tool

What is the better hand priming tool rcbs or the lee. Im sure alot is personal preference I was just wondering goods and bads of each. Also are the hornady die bushings ok?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

I have and use both. I think for all out speed and ease of use, I favor the Lee, I also think the feel is better with the Lee. After a few thousand rounds (probably 6-8000), the plastic bushing that surrounds the shaft that seats the primer gets oblong and starts hanging up. Then it's time to replace the unit. Luckily, you have different parts for small and large primers, so if you reload both, you have to reload a lot to wear it out (I've worn out one for small and one for large over the last 5 years).

I bought the RCBS because there was no way to use the Lee to prime the 408 Cheytac case (338 Allen Mag). In fact, I had to modify the RCBS so the 408CT shellholder would even fit! So I just leave it setup for the 338Allen mag and use the Lee for everything else.

Unless they've changed the mold, you need to open up the area around the shellholder on the Lee to fit the WSM size cases (2 minutes with a dremel and you're good to go).

The one thing I don't like about the RCBS is that the 'push rod' that actually seats the primers can fall out or easily get misplaced as nothing holds it in. Nothing like that is loose on the Lee. Also, switching shellholders on the RCBS is slower, as you have to remove a nut and the safety bar to swap shellholders (the Lee takes about 5 seconds to swap shellholders, but it doesn't use standard holders).

Cost wise, the Lee is really cheap but you need the matching shell holders (get a kit that fits most shells for $13 or so).

Overall, I like the Lee and recommend it.

HTH

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Gold Member

AJ,

RCBS updated theirs now uses what looks like the same shell plates as the case trimmer, on the older model that I have I agree that rod just falls out if it wants. But Im lucky enough that 3 of the 4 cases I load use the same #7 shell holder.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Bronze Member

I had to modify my Lee's Easy Prime also for my 300 saum so the case would fit. I like my Lee's but it is the only one I have used.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Bronze Member

I see the lee says not for use with federal primers whats that about? also what size holder for a 300rum case for a rcbs trimmer I dint see it listed.

Last edited by outdooraddict; 01-19-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdooraddict View Post
I see the lee says not for use with federal primers whats that about? also what size holder for a 300rum case for a rcbs trimmer I dint see it listed.
I'm sure its a 'lawyer warning', the lee doesn't have a shield to keep a single primer detonation from causing all of them to go off and since many Federal primers are a bit more sensitive; the warning.

I've use all types of primers (including Federal) for the last 10 years and have never had any kind of problem. That said, who knows?

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

the shell holder for the RCBS IN 300rum is a number 38