Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primers vs. Powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 PM

Primers vs. Powder

Hi all,

I have a savage 111 in 7mm rem mag that I am trying to work out to greater distances. I have been given some great advice already here. Free floated the barrel glass bedded the recoil lug area and started collecting reloading supplies. I have acquired all the components except primers.

There is very limited stock so the question I have to ask is how important is the primer really?? I have both retumbo and h1000 in stock locally and limited primer options.

With these two powders that I am going to work up loads for, are there any primers that are absolutely NO's?

I appreciate the info....next stop is new glass, then new trigger and then new stock.

Thanks for suggestions,

Grub
Old 11-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Primers vs. Powder

I am of the opinion that if you have a good load it will not matter much if any. If your load is not in the middle of the node the primer may matter more.

I have not experienced much difference even switching between mag and standard primers.

good luck
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

I load for 7mm Rem Mag.

The powder column in a 7mm RM is large. A magnum primer is designed to be aggressive and send the ignition flame deep into the powder column for uniform ignition of the powder. A uniform pressure front is good for accuracy.

All of the "Magnum" primers I've used with 7RM have worked well and I really can't say I had any notable difference in performance between brands. That said, my choice is Winchester Large Rifle Magnum Primers when I can find them.

I really like Retumbo with heavy for caliber bullets. H-1000 was a disappointment in the 7RM, accuracy sucked.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

In my rifle. I also load 7mm rm and in my rifle I have found that RL22, IMR7828 & H1000 like the mag primers, while IMR4064 & IMR3031 like the std primer.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
I load for 7mm Rem Mag.

The powder column in a 7mm RM is large. A magnum primer is designed to be aggressive and send the ignition flame deep into the powder column for uniform ignition of the powder. A uniform pressure front is good for accuracy.

All of the "Magnum" primers I've used with 7RM have worked well and I really can't say I had any notable difference in performance between brands. That said, my choice is Winchester Large Rifle Magnum Primers when I can find them.

That advice is correct. Also, many prefer magnum primers in any big game caliber intended to be used in extreme low temperature hunting.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:23 PM

Well, I bought federal 215m primers today along with retumbo to start working up some loads for some 150 grain Barnes ttsx bullets.

Thanks for all the quality information you were able to offer me, I appreciate it.

Regards,

Grubby
Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Well, I bought federal 215m primers today along with retumbo to start working up some loads for some 150 grain Barnes ttsx bullets.

Thanks for all the quality information you were able to offer me, I appreciate it.

Regards,

Grubby
That's probably not the best combo for 150s. Retumbo is a bit slow burning for 150s. To get your load to really shine, jump up to 160s and heavier. Preferably 168s to 180s. But it never hurts to try. You might just like what you find.