Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primers not flush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Bronze Member

Primers not flush

I am using Norma .300 win mag brass. I have uniformed the primer pockets all the way meaning my redding uniforming tool is bottomed out. I am loading with federal 215m primers and seating with RCBS seater tool. I squeeze the tool all the way down like I have done in the past with all other calibers and brass. First of all the primer pockets seam very tight. But after my second reload on this brass and second time bottoming out my redding uniforming tool the primers stick protrude a couple thousands above the head of the casing. I am unable to get an accurate distance from base to ogive and also my ES is not as good as I would hope for where every other variable is uniform. I am not saying this is the cause of my large ES but it is a possibility. All I know is this is not right and have never experienced this in the past. What can I do about this? Is it possible my 215m primers are longer than normal. I have tried 215 and 215m primers and both protrude from the case.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 PM

Re: Primers not flush

never loaded Norma brass but did have a problem with 300 win mag.I used RCBS 90201 prime tool and had trouble but switched to the bench mounted 09460 and now no trouble.If that's the one your using, then I don't know. My brass was win but really tight primer pockets.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Bronze Member

It is the rcbs hand tool. It is putting some pressure behind the primers because I can see where the rod is putting dimple around the edge of the primers. It seams as it the primers are bottomed out or if the sides of the primer pockets are tapered and once they get down to a certain depth they wont go any more and never reach the bottom of the primer pocket. I would assume this would explain the high ES.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Fed primers are soft. You might not be seating them hard enough. Seeing the dimple is very common.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

I encountered this with Norma brass twice and Nosler brass once. I now use a RCBS primer pocket uniformer with a chordless drill and a tiny bit of water as a lubricant. Also make several cuts brushing off cutter with each cut.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
I encountered this with Norma brass twice and Nosler brass once. I now use a RCBS primer pocket uniformer with a chordless drill and a tiny bit of water as a lubricant. Also make several cuts brushing off cutter with each cut.
I agree with AZ, I have seen this before, and the cutter is the cure. I use a Sinclair pocket unifomer, and it works great. That's unusual for Norma brass though. One other thing you will notice about Norma brass, is that if you use a flashole reamer, you will get a little resistance with the pilot, as the factory hole is much smaller then the domestic brass is. I meant to say flash hole deburring tool, rather then reamer.
It could be that the pocket bottoms are just rounded on the edges, so the uniforming tool may only do a partial cut. As AZ said, clean it frequently when doing the cut.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

This sounds inane but are you sure you have the rod in the right way? The RCBS tool's primer seating rod has a wrong and right way to be installed.

I just set 215M's in 338 Nosler brass with no issue.