Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Primers

Im building a 300wsm and was wondering if I need to use regular large rifle primers or magnum primer.
I seem to get my best accuracy with CCI 200 in most of my guns but with using that much powder in such a short case do I need a LARGE magnum primer, like a FED215? I use the 215s in all my belted magnums and CCI 200s in everything else.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

Re: Primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamadawg2009 View Post
Im building a 300wsm and was wondering if I need to use regular large rifle primers or magnum primer.
I seem to get my best accuracy with CCI 200 in most of my guns but with using that much powder in such a short case do I need a LARGE magnum primer, like a FED215? I use the 215s in all my belted magnums and CCI 200s in everything else.

Ignore the "rules" of primer use and go with the "what works" for what you want rule. A primer just kicks off the burning process. Pistol primers tend to have thinner cups then rifle so they generally handle less pressure. And yes you can use a pistol primer in a rifle or the other way around.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Gold Member

Which primer you use is also sometimes dependent on the powder you use. A good rule of thumb is if you're using ball powder, use the magnum primer. Also some of the big magnums, such as the Ultra Mags and Lapua Magnum, require magnum primers to ignite the large volumn of powder. This may prevent hang fires.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

Im thinking of using RL-22 or RL-17 and might try some H4831SC
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamadawg2009 View Post
Im thinking of using RL-22 or RL-17 and might try some H4831SC
What does this have to do with your primer question? I don't understand what you are trying to combine or have a question about.

The primer choice from standard to magnum is usually based on some magic "rule" because of the powder volume. I have never heard of someone actually having "hang fire" due to using a non-mag primer in a very large volume case. I have heard of high ES due to non-uniform burn rates but never a hang fire.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=reelamin;642618]What does this have to do with your primer question? I don't understand what you are trying to combine or have a question about.

I was giving NIMROD some info on my powder choices because he said sometimes primer choice depends on the powder you use. THX
Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelamin View Post
What does this have to do with your primer question? I don't understand what you are trying to combine or have a question about. .

The primer choice from standard to magnum is usually based on some magic "rule" because of the powder volume. I have never heard of someone actually having "hang fire" due to using a non-mag primer in a very large volume case. I have heard of high ES due to non-uniform burn rates but never a hang fire.
The type of primer you use is very often effected by the type powder you use. Like I said in my post, the use of ball-type powders, such as H-380, H-870, Win. 748, 760 and many more may be more accurate using magnum primers . All ball powders are double based powders and in general, are harder to ignite than extruded powder, therefore magnum primers are recommended in certain loads.

There is no "Magic" rule when selecting regular or magnum primers. The smaller the primer charge in a primer the more uniform it will be, to a point. That is the reason most BR calibers have historically been fired by small rifle primers. Remington even went so far as to manufacture their BR case, which is a .308 Winchester with a small primer pocket. This universal case evolved into several very good BR calibers. However, under some reloading conditions, such as ball powders or large volumns of powder, a magnum primer will give more uniform ignition resulting in better accuracy.

The new generation of high velocity calibers such as the Ultra Mags very often will suffer from hang fires in small-for-case-capacity bullet diameters when using long grain extruded powders. I've heard suggestions that this may be caused by the grains of powder bridging the case neck, causing the hang fires. Some of our early reloading pioneers even tried to overcome this problem by building ignition tubes into the case to move the primer fire more toward the front of the case so that the powder would burn from front to back. I presonally had a Remington Sendero in 7mm RUM, that when loaded with max loads of long extruded powder, would do this. The hang fire was only fractions of a second, but was very disconcerting. A move to the Federal 215M primer solved the problem.

In general, you should use the primer with the least amount of power which give you consistent ignition resulting in lower extreme spread and best accuracy. You will need to try more than one primer to see which one works the best.