Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Primers

Just as a polite reminder, the primer best for you depends upon how many shots you will fire--save the flames- if for example you are shooting at a match with more than one shot--- you need a primer that will contribute to the lowest SD by having the lowest ES which, unfortunately is not the CCI even though I use them. There are two milder and more consistant--. For the hunter, find out what your smallest group is, by component selection and seating depth changes, and hope or practice, your choice, that your cheek weld, sight picture, trigger release and hold are constant enough to replicate the testing shots you did.

Overbore

Old 11-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

I seen other primer tests that show pretty much the same thing that Jason (30'06 Boy) shows.

The same load gave a 13,000 PSI difference with just primer changes. that is something none of the ballistic programs compensate for such as Quick Load. That is why you always start low and come up, particularily with a load off the internet or from your buddy. At least most of the reloading manuals show you what primer they used.

That is also why "definitive" pressure test results from a ballistics program or out of a manual are not accurate and anyone who relies on them is asking for trouble.

BH
Old 11-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

Bounty Hunter,
We are in agreement and since we both are seniors in the reloading sport, I will postulate my personal findings which are "that the milder the primer, such as Wolf and CCI, the lower the pressure" but then again you and I know that moly, bullet dimensions vs bore dimensions, case capacity, ambient conditions, barrel temp, chamber shape and dimensions et,, etc. all influence chamber pressures. My son is in the four shots per year - max hunting - four kills per year category - not counting his pheasant bags, while I can no longer walk the miles or climb the hills required in hunting so I shoot more long range and target rounds and have over the years developed certain narrow comfort zones for my loads. When any component changes,I loose my comfort. Overbore
Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 PM

There is an in-depth study of how each of the individual components (brass, powder, bullet, primer) relate to accuracy in the most recent copy of Handloader Magazine (Dec-Jan 2009). The writer did tests keeping all components the same except one and reported his findings. Very interesting article. I believe, for him, he found the CCI 250's the most accurate.

As a Weatherby shooter, I found his findings on primers, bullets and brass very interesting. Since he was using a .308 which uses faster powder than would appropriate for the magnum's, that part of the study was of no use to me.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

Thanks...I will get a copy asap
Ken
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalauncher View Post
There is an in-depth study of how each of the individual components (brass, powder, bullet, primer) relate to accuracy in the most recent copy of Handloader Magazine (Dec-Jan 2009). The writer did tests keeping all components the same except one and reported his findings. Very interesting article. I believe, for him, he found the CCI 250's the most accurate.

As a Weatherby shooter, I found his findings on primers, bullets and brass very interesting. Since he was using a .308 which uses faster powder than would appropriate for the magnum's, that part of the study was of no use to me.
You beat me to it. All OK.

The article is on developing the most accurate .308Win load.

Stercus Accidit.

Nice try means you suck spelled different.