Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

primer shelf life??????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2006, 08:39 PM
SPONSOR

Re: primer shelf life??????????

Sorry no hi tec camera and my scanner is fried..
You'll just have to use your imiganation [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know still shooting bung holes with some I bought in the late 70dys.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm. I wonder if he's using pistol primers in San Francisco County. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

WE
Old 05-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Gold Member

I have used primers that are now 40 years old. They are pistol primers, and they all go bang. They have been stored in garages, shops, sheds and now in pistol brass. I have never had one not go bang.

I am not sure there is too much to the degradation of primers by moisture. If they dry out, they should still go bang. I have shot shotgun shells that spent three years under the floors of my duck boat. They all shot fine. They were not sealed primers like the Federal Premiums. I cut one of the shells open, and some of the shot was actually rusted together. They were No. 4s, so not much chance of barrel damage due to pellets going out lined up like would be the case if they were BBB or Ts. The ducks I shot did not fall, so maybe they were defective; however, my shoulder would argue otherwise.

Bart made the correct point I guess, "You may not notice anything until you get out 500+ or to 1k before you notice the difference."
Old 05-29-2006, 12:10 PM

Extreme heat or cold, for long periods, will ruin your ammo. I preached this to my father in law, who kept his revolver under the front seat of his truck. Going home one night, he stopped and let his dog out after a coon; when treed, the old man tryed to shoot the coon, but could see the bullets in his spotlight, traveling about as fast as if launched from a sling shot.

<font color="red"> </font> That cured him, and he switches out his ammo every few weeks, now.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Bronze Member

I just shot up about 500 shotshell primers from the '50's that I bought with a bunch of other reloading stuff. I have no idea how they were stored.

I used them in blackpowder shotshells which is easy to ignite and not as finicky as rifle loads, but they all went bang.