Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primer seating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Bronze Member

Primer seating

I have some new brass and have to apply considerable force to seat the primers. They are at uniform depth and there is no apparent deformation that I can see with the naked eye. Will a slight deformation effect ignition to the point of effecting accuracy or is depth the most critical thing?. They all require the same pressure to seat and i'm using a RCBS hand primer. Should I open them up a bit with a uniformer? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Gunner
Old 11-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Primer seating

You could if you have the tool for it. De burring the flash hole is said to make a real difference in accuracy. Do a few and try it to see if it is a waste of time or not. Turing case necks can work or crash in magnum calibers I have only seen it crash,

Thanks,Keith
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner52 View Post
I have some new brass and have to apply considerable force to seat the primers. They are at uniform depth and there is no apparent deformation that I can see with the naked eye. Will a slight deformation effect ignition to the point of effecting accuracy or is depth the most critical thing?. They all require the same pressure to seat and i'm using a RCBS hand primer. Should I open them up a bit with a uniformer? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Gunner
Don't know what primers or brass you are using, or what "considerable pressure" is, but I've found WOLF primers are a "little" harder to seat in Winchester brass. Try another brand
Old 11-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member

i would ream the primer pockets...im ofthe opinion that no amount of accuracy gains is worth blowing a primer while seating it...then again, im not very adventurous when it comes to small explosions and mangled fingers..lol..
Old 11-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Gold Member

A small chamfer has cured the same problem for me more than once. I never had
to ream.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
A small chamfer has cured the same problem for me more than once. I never had
to ream.

i use the hornady tool that does both at the same time, cant get one without the other using it...i debated getting a swagging die, but i just couldnt justify the cost for bulk plinking ammo...