Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primer sealant?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Silver Member

Primer sealant?

Does anybody use Primer sealant on thier hunting loads? If so are there any noticable changes in performance?What about sealing around the neck? I usualy load my practice ammo days before I shoot but but this year I want to load my hunting ammo this year a couple of months ahead and since i will be in no hurry was considering sealing for relibility. thanks in advance for your responce. Michael
Old 06-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Primer sealant?

As long as you keep your ammo somewhere other than IN THE RIVER....you wont have any sort of problems.

Military ammo is ( or at least WAS) sealed because god knows what climate or conditions it might be put into.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

I agree that primer sealant is overkill. I've only seen it used when ammo may sit for many years (or in a river!) or when nutty doomsdayers bury 100000 rounds in wait for the machines to take over. And 4 spare magazines.

No offense, nutty doomsdayers.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Silver Member

That is what I need to know! Thanks
Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Military ammo is sealed, front and rear, so it can survive submersion for weeks and function. We don't need that but there are companies who will sell you some costly lady finger nail polish to paint over primers and case mouths if you wish.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

The point about ammo sitting for long periods is valid.

I myself started a similar sealant thread a couple years ago.

By the end of the discussion a prolific poster to this board had gone back and noticed that the primers needed slightly reseated to original depths....

I think another Platinum poster mentioned in another different thread that the firing pin to primer consistency had an impact as well on accuracy....greater than before surmised.

So if the primers can incrementally move enough that the accuracy could be impacted, then the sealant might have a value add.

However IMO, for these very small variances, the load would likely have to have .25moa accuracy at the onset to notice a deterioration due to this potential advent.

So for 99% of the time, the sealant is likely burdensome overkill step.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldon View Post
The point about ammo sitting for long periods is valid.

I myself started a similar sealant thread a couple years ago.

By the end of the discussion a prolific poster to this board had gone back and noticed that the primers needed slightly reseated to original depths....

I think another Platinum poster mentioned in another different thread that the firing pin to primer consistency had an impact as well on accuracy....greater than before surmised.

So if the primers can incrementally move enough that the accuracy could be impacted, then the sealant might have a value add.

However IMO, for these very small variances, the load would likely have to have .25moa accuracy at the onset to notice a deterioration due to this potential advent.

So for 99% of the time, the sealant is likely burdensome overkill step.
Thanks for providing this info. I have been wanting to store
a few thousand rounds just to have since you never know
these days. I wondered if they would still shoot reliably after
sitting in a closet for 20 yrs unsealed in a humid climate.