Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primer Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Bronze Member

Primer Question

Ok so here goes..... I am kind of new to reloading... been doing it for about a year now. I have had some old timers give me tips and pointers. My question for today is how much does the primer matter. Does it matter if you use a magnum primer for any large rifle, like say, 22-250.... I am getting ready to load up some 308's and right now only have magnum primers. Any help here would be awesome....

Ryan
Old 02-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Primer Question

Ryan, yes , primers Do make a difference! Use the reloading manuals; more than one. Each have a wealth of knowledge in them. Don't just read the reloading chapters either; the best info is before (and after) the loading sections.
As to your question about primer differences; they do make a considerable difference and can get you into trouble by using the wrong ones. If you use a standard primer with ball powders in a "magnum" cartridge; that can lead to misfires and/or hangfires and poor accuracy. If you use a magnum primer where a standard one is indicated by the loading manual; you will get into high pressures and serious consequences! That's just a couple cases. It's very important to work up loads; always start low and work up. Some of the best results won't be at the top. Each gun is a law unto it's own; what works in one won't always work in another. Being careful as you load is most important. Listen to those folks who have had a long and successful reloading experience; and read the books !
Charles
Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you so much....

I have been reading just about everything I can get my hands on. I have an "old timer" buddy who only uses standard primers in all his loading no matter what. he think I crazy for being so.....picky....about my brass and it being just perfect.... Im glad that I asked... hope that I didnt give the impression that I was going to "just try" it... I come from a background of tying flies so I completely understand the finer details... but still way learning here... I wasnt able to locate any match primers where I live so I will have to just wait until I get to the City one of these days... Again thank you for your time....

Ryan
Old 02-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
Ok so here goes..... I am kind of new to reloading... been doing it for about a year now. I have had some old timers give me tips and pointers. My question for today is how much does the primer matter. Does it matter if you use a magnum primer for any large rifle, like say, 22-250.... I am getting ready to load up some 308's and right now only have magnum primers. Any help here would be awesome....

Ryan
I agree with other forum members - you have to work up loads on different primers. Primers are the spark plug of a cartidge. Like you tune a carburator you can use primers and different loads to tune for the best combination. With ball powder I always use magnum primers. With slow burning and large capacity brass I also like to use magnum primers. If you only have magnum primers, then start at least 10% lower than a previous load with standard primers. Work up in 0.3gr sessions and check for pressure signs.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

RyanG, that was some good, sage advise from Reloader 222. Enjoy reloading, but pay attention to the details ! It's great when you take a load to the range and find it shoots lights out without high pressures. I say again, read the books !