Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primer problems, No fire in 7mm RM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Primer problems, No fire in 7mm RM

I tried to point that out for you Lefty. To the OP, take the bolt out release the pin by pushing it with your thumb, check its protrusion through the bolt face, .035-.050" is good, any less can cause your issue with harder primers, anymore could pierce them.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

One other possible issue could be something as simple as to tight a fit somewhere in the bolt assembly, possibly if dropped. I had that happen on my sx2 shotgun. I dropped the bolt body on the bench as I was re-assembling the gun. A few weeks later I was getting mis-fires with fed ammo in the gun. Turnes out I'd dropped the bolt on a rather thin spot and it bent enough for an interference fit and took the energy out of the firing pin before it got much past flush. Win worked fine with flush primers, but not fed with a bit of recess.
The same thing could easily happen with a tail hit on a bolt action rifles bolt if the shroud got bent; you would never notice it with certain primers, but others would mis-fire to hell and back.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

I have not read all the replies to many, However from what the poster said it sound to me like the primers have not been seated with enough force .
If a primer is seated too high in the pocket it will move away from the firing pin as it drops. Cushioning the strike. The correct way to seat the primer is all the way until it is firmed down to the base of the pocket. This can be hard to feel sometimes if the primer pockets are not formed well. Which sounds like the case.
Buy a primer pocket uniformer and get them nice and square and you will feel the primers bottom out. It sound to me like there is a bit of fear associated with seating the primer and as a result it is not down hard. Put a bit more pressure on it , it will not go off . This is a very common mistake for new reloaders. If it works fine with factory ammo I can't see that anything would be wrong with the gun.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
"if it's ammo.....
are you cleaning your primer pockets to get the carbon out??
did you tumble the brass and forget to knock the media out of the flashholes??
Did you have powder in the ones that didn't go off??"

What in the heck do those comments have to do with the primers not going off? The only other thing I can think of if it isn't the primers being seated to deep is that maybe the primers were mishandled and some were contaminated. Other than those two things, then it could be the gun itself like a weak spring or a need for better cleaning like was mentioned.
Dude, I'm not getting into a ******* match with you....The op was somewhat vague as to what was actually happening. I've seen rounds people didn't think went off that were opened up AND the primer DID go BOOM but there was crap in the flash-hole, or if a pistol no where near enough crimp to get things going.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Funny that now you're calling me out a second time when you're the only one on the thread that seems to be lacking in reading comprehension, LOL, so Geez yourself! Two of us tried to politely clue you in on what was happening earlier in the thread and yet you still kept on with your other ideas that had nothing to do with the OP problem. Don't blame us for trying to get you on the same page with the rest of us and if you're not trying to get into a ******* contest why in the heck did you make your last post, LOL?!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

I stand corrected I guess
Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

We're cool---Have a great holiday weekend!!! How are the pheasants looking where you are? I hunt the southwest part of your state in November every year and it sounds good again this year out there.