Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primer problems, No fire in 7mm RM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 08:53 AM

Re: Primer problems, No fire in 7mm RM

I have owned and loaded for five 7mm RM rifles and use Federal 215M primers exclusively as these primers are designed for large capacity cases burning slow powder, some of which is hard to reliably ignite. They provide consistant ignition and loads with very little velocity deviation.
I am not suggesting this is the cause of your problem and others have given helpful advice in this regard.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Hunter Steve View Post
I have owned and loaded for five 7mm RM rifles and use Federal 215M primers exclusively as these primers are designed for large capacity cases burning slow powder, some of which is hard to reliably ignite. They provide consistant ignition and loads with very little velocity deviation.
I am not suggesting this is the cause of your problem and others have given helpful advice in this regard.

I've had 3 7 rem's (not to mention a bunch of other 7mm's) and they all perform well on mag primers. A hotter standard primer like a wlr is pretty sure to ignite the powder in this case too unless you are using "ball" powders or terribly compressed with stick powder. You are only burning 10 grains more powder(give or take) over the '06 class rounds. A 7stw or 7rum (with their enhanced capacities) wiill take a 215 or equivalant.

I think the OP has got a rather simple issue like missing powder or obstructed flash-holes.
If it's not ammo(especially if it starts showing up with factories too) it is your bolt/ firing pin assmbly; gooped up or weak spring, possibly short firing pin.
If not that is may be headspace-- especially if you've been running heavy loads for a while in the rifle. It would take gunsmith work to fix that and you could tell with headspace guages. Find these either at your 'smith or order 'em in from Midway, Brownells, etc..
Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Lefty---The PRIMER is not going KABOOM. It has nothing to do with the primer not igniting the powder in the case. One more time--- The primers are dimpled by the firing pin but are not going off. They are either seated too deep, are contaminated, or the firing pin is not striking them a full blow due to a weak spring or the assembly is in need of cleaning.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Bronze Member

one other source of lack of depth for firing pin strike i encountered with primer pockets not cleaned, primers seated too shallow, and when struck by the pin, they simply moved forward in the pocket, not allowing the primer to ignite. he might try pulling bullet and powder, and firing some of his handloads 'bare' of powder and bullet. check the cartridge base before and after each fire to see if the primers are moving in the pocket.

anyone every had primer pockets too deep? i've heard of it but never experienced it in 30+ years reloading everything from straight wall pistols to 458 mags.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

take a depth mic and measure the depth of the prime to the back face of the case. It ought to be around .005". I often prime cases off my Forster press without ever seeing a problem in ignition. But the primer are always in the .004"-.0055" range.

Whatkind of case lube are you using? Much of them will kill a primer.
gary
Old 09-01-2012, 02:32 PM

My first thought was that the headspacing was off, but I double and triple checked with my headspace gauges and they were spot-on.
The brass was brand new never fired so fouling or cleaning media should not have been a problem. Type of primer (as far as ignition of powder) isn't an issue since the primers aren't even activating.
I cleaned the bolt assembly and it wasn't dirty at all. I test-fired another box of factory ammo and all 20 went off.
Numerous of you said that it is about impossible to seat the primer too deep and as far as my eye can tell they look like they are seated just fine.
So I've narrowed it down to three options:

1. The primers somehow went bad and are simply not going to work.
2. The material of these primers is "harder" than the factory primers.
3. The pin is set too short for how my loader seats the primers.

I'm assuming it is one of the second two since the mark on the primer from the pin is just barely making a mark.

Solution: Throw out primers and get new ones. Increase the length of the firing pin by a couple thousandths.

If that doesn't work, I might have to bring my barrel into the action a couple thousands and really tighten up the headspace.

Thanks for all the help and ideas! Keep the info coming please!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Lefty---The PRIMER is not going KABOOM. It has nothing to do with the primer not igniting the powder in the case. One more time--- The primers are dimpled by the firing pin but are not going off. They are either seated too deep, are contaminated, or the firing pin is not striking them a full blow due to a weak spring or the assembly is in need of cleaning.
o.k. he said no fire, not that THE PRIMER DIDN"T GO OFF-- no fire to me means that the round didn't fire --------geez.....