Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primer problems, No fire in 7mm RM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Primer problems, No fire in 7mm RM

I'm just starting my handload testing for my 7mm RM. I have 20 rounds through it with 168 bergers and varying levels of H1000. I got great accuracy from the 64 and 65.5 grain loads. BUT out of the 20 handloads, I had 3 no fires. I have 40 rounds of factory ammo through it with no problems so I assume it isn't the rifle. I'm using the RCBS partner press and priming with that little priming arm on the press. Using the Winchester large rifle primers. The firing pin is just barely making a dent in the primers on the no fired rounds. So I'm assuming that I'm cranking on the handle a little too hard and seating the primers a little too deep. BUT I also have very little experience with reloading.

If anyone has any solutions or other ideas as to what might be my problem, I'd love to hear them!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Primer problems, No fire in 7mm RM

So what do the primers that didn't fire look like for seating depth compared to ones that functioned properly? It sounds like maybe you answered your own question.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

???rifle headspace???-- sounds like either that or soft hits/ weak spring/ etc. for the firing pin or a gooped up bolt

if it's ammo.....
are you cleaning your primer pockets to get the carbon out??
did you tumble the brass and forget to knock the media out of the flashholes??
Did you have powder in the ones that didn't go off??
I've got the rockchucker press (with better leverage) and I'd have to sit on the handle and bounce to actually damage a primer-- so I rather doubt that is the issue.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

"if it's ammo.....
are you cleaning your primer pockets to get the carbon out??
did you tumble the brass and forget to knock the media out of the flashholes??
Did you have powder in the ones that didn't go off??"

What in the heck do those comments have to do with the primers not going off? The only other thing I can think of if it isn't the primers being seated to deep is that maybe the primers were mishandled and some were contaminated. Other than those two things, then it could be the gun itself like a weak spring or a need for better cleaning like was mentioned.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Bronze Member

This is a 7mm Rem Mag? Doesn't it headspace off the mag base ring?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

What in the heck do those comments have to do with the primers not going off? The only other thing I can think of if it isn't the primers being seated to deep is that maybe the primers were mishandled and some were contaminated. Other than those two things, then it could be the gun itself like a weak spring or a need for better cleaning like was mentioned.

I have to agree with Topgun, sounds like contaminated primers to me.

I do a gob of reloading because one, I have time and two because I'm cheap, load development notwthstanding....

I never prime on the press for a couple reasons. One, I want to feel every primer and how it's sitting in the pocket in relationship to the cartridge face and two, working a hand primer while watching the boob tube, strengthens your hands.

The primer itself may be hard, which happens sometimes but not often or the gun has a dirty bolt/firing pin drillway and needs a thorough cleaning.

I'd start with pulling the bolt and giving it a good cleaning, paying close attention to the firing pin and then a tiny dab of gun oil on the firing pin to lubricate the drillway. The start looking at the cartridge itself. You shot factory stuff, no problem. I believe it's dirt/powder residue in the pin drillway.

Looking at your original post, I see it's a Savage. Savage is noted for a light pin spring. Yjay makes it coubly important to have the drillway clean and lubricated.

Not too much, thats no good as is too little. Just a drop.

Like Kimber Arms says in their literature.... Oiling a firearm to excess is as bad as no oil at all.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

I use over 10,000 primers a year and you just get a hand full of bad ones out of every 1000, it happens. Oh and if he did forget to charge the (I have before) the primer went off just no boom and a light hit because of no pressure. Also being that it is a savavge you can adjust the firing pin striking depth out a few thousands at a time if need be. Winchester and CCI primers also have a harder cup than others, try Fed210Ms they go off easy, stay away from Rem 9 1/2s they are shorter and sink deeper in the pocket sometimes causing hang fires if everything else isn't just right.