Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primer Pockets ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Primer Pockets ?

There is nothing wrong with tightening primer pockets, a friend of mine has been using the same Lapua(norma) 300wm cases in his bench rifle for 7 or 8 years, the primer pockets have been tighened 3 or 4 times. He says he don't care what the pockets are doing, he mics the case heads to check for exspansion so that he won't have a seperation, I know his loads are hot because its almost 70grns of Imr4350 under a jammed 210 berger, but those cases probably have 30+ loads a piece on them.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
There is nothing wrong with tightening primer pockets, a friend of mine has been using the same Lapua(norma) 300wm cases in his bench rifle for 7 or 8 years, the primer pockets have been tighened 3 or 4 times. He says he don't care what the pockets are doing, he mics the case heads to check for exspansion so that he won't have a seperation, I know his loads are hot because its almost 70grns of Imr4350 under a jammed 210 berger, but those cases probably have 30+ loads a piece on them.
Backwoods83, Is your friend using the Hart Case Saver or is there another tool for tightening primer pockets?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

They are custom made, the guy that makes them uses a 4" piece of an old barrel that is chambered for a specific cartridge, in this case 300wm, 300 wby and 6.5x55 imp, he then uses a mandrel underneath to keep from over stressing the cases, then he has a punch made of 441c stainless that he taps with a medium weight brass hammer. The method is very effective but after the second tightening you must start sealing the primers to prevent gas leakage even though the pocket is super tight, it may have a spot or two around it that wants to leak, which will erode the bolt face and screw up your extreme spread. He uses clear finger nail polish. He has won several matches, a couple championships, and several other awards, shooter of the year, etc.. so I guess he knows what he's doing, even running a 300wm at about 68k and the wby at about 73k.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
High stresses on both the cases and rifle. You beat up your stuff if you want. I'll buy a bigger gun.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

To much gun is to much gun most guys over bore themselves, must be making up for something.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
To much gun is to much gun most guys over bore themselves, must be making up for something.
Buy a bigger rifle and let it loaf; it'll last forever. Beat up your little stick and wonder why you have isues that you have to buy gadgets to fix. I've lost 2 primers in the last 5,00 rounds or more, and those were test loads out of the hornady book for the 270 win. Their rifle must be shot out or dang loose because the charges they show at top with some powders would likely pop primers in both of my 270's. I've gone to data that better mirrors my rifles and no more issues.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

That's the fun of the Ackley's not know where you can go...................the results can be hard on cases but you never know where you can go until you try...................Ive had 100gr bullets @3350 but then ended up at 3140. There is pro's and con's

I really enjoy my .243AI much more than when it was a 7mm-08

my other rifle is a 19 Badger and I can not think of another cartridge that would be more enjoyable as those two