Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primer Pockets ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Gold Member

Primer Pockets ?

Ive been shooting fireformed Lapua Brass for my .243 AI..............when seating my primers Ive noticed that some cases the primers go in really easy. At what point do you get rid of them ................on some I can push in the primer with my fingers, are those cases done?

G
Old 09-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Primer Pockets ?

Yes those cases are done. You should be getting 10+ reloads out of your lapua brass if you arent getting that much id back it down a half grain at a time until you start getting better brass life. Unless short brass life doesnt bother you then keep on keepin on. When the primer pockets loose resistance like the ones you have then replace them

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Bronze Member

I have this same issue with my 7.82 Warbird. R.W. Hart makes a tool to swage the primer pockets so they will still retain primers. I have read mixed reviews, some say it works great and others say that the punch is too soft and mushrooms easily. I would like to try one myself though because it may be a good way to extend the life of expensive and time consuming brass. I am just a cheap A** and havent sprung for one yet. Probably when i accumulate more loose brass I will get one.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Yes those cases are done. You should be getting 10+ reloads out of your lapua brass if you arent getting that much id back it down a half grain at a time until you start getting better brass life. Unless short brass life doesnt bother you then keep on keepin on. When the primer pockets loose resistance like the ones you have then replace them
+1. If you can push them in easy it's time to scrap.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

It is hard for me to let go of brass, especially if my loads are turning out good accuracy. Add to the fact that it's somewhat pricey and hard to find these days and it makes me more reluctant to toss it!
I have some .300WinMag Frontier brass (Hornady) that I have been shooting for about 8 years. I have "stepped" on it quiet a bit and shoot mostly book max or slightly above. A few years back I noticied the primer pockets getting loose so I purchased the RW Hart & Sons Case Saver. IME, it does not return it to factory tight but does give you a little more life out of your brass.

I make a small red Sharpie mark on the case belt during primer seating, if it feels looser than I think it should be. During the next prep session I look for these particular pieces and use the Case Saver on them.
I did it this way because not all the primer pockets have the same tension. It seems to be working pretty good and I have not had to re-tighten a previously tightened piece of brass.

I'm not sure this will extend the life of ones brass forever but between this and annealling I should get a little longer brass life. Happy, happy, happy!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Why the heck would you up run to charge levels that would loosen primers?? Playing with fire, man....
Old 09-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Gold Member

Thats the one thing I dont like about the Ackley rounds like my .243 AI I dont now what Max is and I have run some hot loads through my cases........

100gr bullets at 3350fps........................some of my cases I can drop a primer into the case.............those are gone now but at least when I had a standard round the book gave me an idea of what was max................