Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

primer pocket cutting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Bronze Member

primer pocket cutting

is it worth the effort of cutting the primer pockets on lapua brass ?? I used to do all my brass but Iam just preparing a fresh batch for my 243 AI 270 tight neck and Iam wondering is it worth while ?? or would i be better batching the cases in weight,however it is only a hunting rifle
Old 04-04-2006, 04:38 AM
Gold Member

Re: primer pocket cutting

Uniforming primer pockets may not make a difference in a hunting rifle but it is a onetime task and surely can't hurt. Remember that, when sorting cases by weight, any neck turning, pocket cutting or trimming to length, will affect weight.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:14 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Uniforming primer pockets may not make a difference in a hunting rifle but it is a onetime task and surely can't hurt. Remember that, when sorting cases by weight, any neck turning, pocket cutting or trimming to length, will affect weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

so when you sort your cases do you do the prep first or weigh them,????

its just that i had got in my head that if i prepped them first IE primer pocket,trim to length,flash hole deburr,
and then weigh them it would give me a better indication of the true weight,this way i am not weighing all the burrs and excess case length.

when you sort your brass.how many grains do you let them go over or under before you through the case out of that batch.

as for the primer pockets,i like to do them so i can clean them out after every shot,as i have this tool already,but dose it do anything for accuracy,not as i have noticed,
Old 04-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Gold Member

You can weigh them first. Then have to weigh them again after prepping. Unless you can devise a method of removing the exact same amount from each case when prepping.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

I have been shooting my latest, a 6BR set up for long range benchrest, without touching anything.

FH's were LIGHTLY deburred if any burr was present (no chamfer at all, just knock off the burr

Necks were chamfered

thats it.

I will be attempting to test the worthiness of different prep steps soon...

JB
Old 04-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Should prove very interesting and I'll be anxiously awaiting your results! But maybe a less accurate or should I say "less finicky" cartridge would prove more. That darn little 6br shoots great just about any way you load it!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:07 AM
Silver Member

I personally have never put a chamfer on the flash holes,only lightly deburr
It is my view (for what it is worth)that no one stage in the prep will do much for CONSISTENCY, But the accumulation of all the processes will--- must aid in consistency.
I am thinking of weighing my next batch of brass for my 270
if it takes 2 goes then so be it,

I know nothing about weighing cases, But i would say if you get out all the burrs, And get them as uniformed as possible,Then weigh them,this might stop you from throwing away brass that might not have made the grade (because it had bigger burrs than the rest)

How many grains (over or under) do you think is acceptable to sort your cases.