Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primer leakage ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Primer leakage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrac View Post
Rule of thumb; I'm sure most have read an even experienced it. Change 1 component, back off your load and work up again.

Good read their, Chas1. Thanks
I hear you and agree 100%. But we had been quite a bit higher with this load during development. We reduced it for accuracy as the sweet spot was not at max. I will take accuracy over velocity any day. So I felt we were in a safe spot but cautioned him to fire one, to check zero and watch for bolt lift or shiney spot on the case heads. He says that is all good. I will make sure before any more are fired.

This could very well be pressure and if so , bullets will be pulled and charge reduced.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 06-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Gold Member

Just a note.
I did work up the load with the cci's and was getting leakage even at the lower load pressure /velocity levels.
Didn't notice till I shot a few though since the velocity was low and no difficult bolt lift and no marks on the case head. Now I get out in the sun and take a really good look at the primers when working up loads.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Guys, Just wanted to follow up and report my findings. I just last evening got to look at the fired cases. They were definatly a bit over pressure. Here is what I found. Slight ejector pin circle was visable on the headstamp. Just enough that a very close look and you could make it out but not enough for hard bolt lift. This is the same exact spot where every pocket leaked, and the only spot. So it is my conclusion is that under this high pressure spike the pocket deformed slightly and let a bit of gas leak out next to the ejector pin. Also, the primers were definatly cratered a bit, not alot but I could catch y thumb nail on it.

I punched out the primers and put them on my primer pocket squaring cutter. The pocket are still true and round. I then seated new primers to see if the pocket was enlarged. The new primers fit nice and firm. I also did an inside mic of wall thickess right above the belt to look for a weakened area. None was evident. So I feel they are good to go again.

I believe the problem was due to the reduced inner case area of the RWS. This made the % of case fill higher and increased pressure. Also, this was the warmest ambient temps we have ever fired the rifle in. I also believe we were closer to max than I origionally thought. So all bullets will be pulled and new powder charge will be developed.

Just wanted to add my findings to the thread in case anyone else ever has a similar issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jeff
Old 06-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

I would say you are spot on in regards to the thicker brass giving less case capacity, and raising your pressure slightly.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Broz, thanks for sharing. Looks like a couple of things were going on there. Good to hear they're still reloadable.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

Broz,
Thanks for the update.
I too noticed the rws brass has a much smaller internal capacity than the Norma brass.
2-3 grains less of h1000
I'll have to measure the water capacity when I get back in town

Last edited by RockZ; 06-17-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockZ View Post
Broz,
Thanks for the update.
I too noticed the rws brass has a much smaller internal capacity than the Norma brass.

Tonight we worked the load back up. 2 gr less than the old load and it was happy but we found it was a bit more accurate with 3 gr less so we went with that. The interesting thing was after reducing the load it was spot on at its 250 yard zero. I don't think we lost much velocity. Time will tell on that when we shoot at distance. Whle loading I weighed one of the old Rem cases and one of the new RWS. The Rem weighed in at 243 gr and the RWS weighed in at 278 gr. So there is quite a difference.

Jeff