Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primer/Ignition question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Bronze Member

Primer/Ignition question?

Gentlemen,

I recently found a load that I can FINALLY get to shoot out of my Rem 700 in 300 RUM, however it seems to be a bit inconsistent.

I just got back from the range today where I fired 30 rounds of the exact same load. Temps were about 50 degrees. I can put 3 rounds in the exact same hole at 100 yards without problem, however when I shoot a 5 shot group at least two of the rounds are "flyers". I can't really explain it. I KNOW it's not me, I've shot much bigger and badder, the shots feel good as soon as I pull the trigger, however when I look back down the scope I see a flier 1 inch away from the other 3 rounds.

I got to thinking about everything that would affect the situation. I know the mounts/rings are good. I know the scope is good. I know the stock/rifle contact is good. The load seems to be good as it will one hole 3 rounds; I mean groups in the .2's .3's CTC.

I moved over to the 200 yard range, same thing. Groups about .5-.6 for 3 rounds, but when I shoot 5 it opens the group up to 1.2-2.0

I was wondering, I had heard that Federal GM215M Primers were the "coldest" of the magnum primers. Any truth to this?

I've never experienced an ignition problem in a rifle before so I don't really know what to look for. I do know when setting off 98gr of powder it wouldn't be hard to get them. I was wondering if others are using 215M primers on big mags, or if they move to something a bit hotter say a WLRM?

The rifle is basically a factory stock 700 Sendero. I've glass bedded it, added an aftermarket trigger and tuned it down to about 1/2lb. I've got a Leupold 8.5-25x50LRT sitting on top.

Questions, thoughts, comments?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Primer/Ignition question?

i had thought that the 215 were ther hotest. i use them. hopefully someone with more expierence will post
Old 12-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

how long are you taking to shoot a 5 shot group. sounds like the barrel is heating up and throwing the last shots,
Old 12-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Bronze Member

It takes about 10 minutes for me to shoot a 5 shot group. It was 50 degrees out with a 5mph or so wind in my face. I doubt you could even call the barrel warm.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If it is always the last 2 out of 5 and the 1st 3 from a cold barrel are always good, I would say it is a really good chance it is the barrel. Especially if it is a sporter weight. 10 minutes for 5 round in 50 degree air and a sporter weight barrel with a fire breathing dragon is not enough time. Let it cool 5 or 10 minutes between each shot and see what happens.

Federal 215 are NOT the coolest or coldest primers. They are some of the hottest. I doesnt sound like you have a primer issue anyway.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Bronze Member

The barrel is a bull barrel. It also is not contacting the stock in any way. You could probably drive a semi through the gap in the barrel channel. I'll slow down next time and see what happens.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

Not the primers, if it were you wouldnt get any groups. Its the bbl moving around due to heat. When barrels do this its usually because the stresses in the barrel react to the heat. This is why barrels are stress relieved, sporter weight barrels are more likely to do this in magnum cals.

"Let the good times roll"