Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

primer failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: primer failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldoc View Post
First of all, thank you all for the input and in check out the ones that didn't fire this is what I found.

Looking at the hit on the primer it looks to be much lighter that the others that fired.
Flash holes were clean, no burrs.
Loaded case, in checking I found primer flush with bottom of case.
Removed fire pin, check no excessive lube.

Results of check I believe the problem was my seating of the primers were not deep enough and In fact the firing pin was pushing primer in and this what caused lite hit.

Have loaded up more for test, seated below case at .005 and found problem went away at the range today.

Again thank you for the help.

Charlie
I think you priming device is the problem here. Hand held priming devices often put primers all over the place. I use a K&M and the one on my Forster press, but have several others gathering dust. One thing about hand priming tools is that you have to learn a certain feel in seating the primer. Some guys say it's in the crush, but I'm now convinced to your far better off seating to a consistent depth
gary
Old 01-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
Some guys say it's in the crush, but I'm now convinced to your far better off seating to a consistent depth
IT'S BOTH

Seating to a set depth allows consistent strike, but primer ignition can vary with the resulting crush variance. So pocket cutting to a set depth is a prerequisite here. The next is actual primer height(they all vary). Having a K&M primer seater, you should be aware of their indicated model that zeros out variance in pocket depth AND primer height to achieve correct crush.
With same pocket depths, same crush, and best adjusted strike for the primer, I think proper seating is pretty much covered.
But one other factor, is time. Seated primers tend to back out a bit within a few days, and there has been recent testing that showed this continuing for a few weeks(at an ever dropping rate).
I've seen this enough with Lapua, Norma, and Tubbs brass. But I haven't yet tested for specific impact of it from day to day.

There is more to primer firing than merely 'sufficient'..
Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
IT'S BOTH

Seating to a set depth allows consistent strike, but primer ignition can vary with the resulting crush variance. So pocket cutting to a set depth is a prerequisite here. The next is actual primer height(they all vary). Having a K&M primer seater, you should be aware of their indicated model that zeros out variance in pocket depth AND primer height to achieve correct crush.
With same pocket depths, same crush, and best adjusted strike for the primer, I think proper seating is pretty much covered.
But one other factor, is time. Seated primers tend to back out a bit within a few days, and there has been recent testing that showed this continuing for a few weeks(at an ever dropping rate).
I've seen this enough with Lapua, Norma, and Tubbs brass. But I haven't yet tested for specific impact of it from day to day.

I never noticed this, but I'm going to run a test tonight on about a hundred 6/250AI rounds I have built up. These are about 20 months old, so we sould see something here. I have a little hand held gauge I built (extremely simple and on the cheap!), plus another setup to measure primer pocket depth. Both are similar in design, but of course setup for different depths.

My K&M tool does not have the dial indicator attatchment, and sometimes I wish it did. When I use this tool I do it by feel, rather than depth (my hands are too messed up to use a Sinclair tool).
gary
Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Gold Member

What about the Acrylic Primer sealer?

Does anyone have experience using it and if it is not detrimental in some way, would it add the benefit of reducing or eliminating the primer from slipping after it cured?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
IT'S BOTH

this is a post everybody needs to read!! I just rand a check on a hundred primed cases, and was in a shock. I found primers that had backed out to within .0015" of the face, and even worse in one big lot of 45LC brass. I'll reseat the 45's as they are unloaded. One lot of 35 Rem. was also pretty bad, and I'll redo those as well. Yet I check a box of 6mm Reming cases that had the primers exactly where I seated them. Figure that one out! (did them a couple years ago)
gary
Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
this is a post everybody needs to read!! I just rand a check on a hundred primed cases, and was in a shock. I found primers that had backed out to within .0015" of the face, and even worse in one big lot of 45LC brass. I'll reseat the 45's as they are unloaded. One lot of 35 Rem. was also pretty bad, and I'll redo those as well. Yet I check a box of 6mm Reming cases that had the primers exactly where I seated them. Figure that one out! (did them a couple years ago)
gary
Gary:

Have been working also on what could be causing failures and run across information by James Calhoon Varmint Hunter Mag. Oct 95 on specs of primers ,cup thickness,diameter and height for small and larger rifle on CCI,Federal,Remington and Winchester.

I have a PDF file I will sent to you as a PM as I can't find how to post it here.

Charlie