Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Primer backout problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: Primer backout problems

Nowler is correct, if he is getting 3 to 5 thousandths backout, this means there is a gap behind the case and the front of the bolt. This my friends is called EXCESS HEADSPACE! And 3-5 thousandths is not good. It is most likely caused by a sizing die that is not set up properly and is bumping the shoulder back a slight amount. Start over with some new brass and set up your sizing die to fit the fired case, ignoring the manufacturers suggestion of turning it down to the shell holder. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:43 AM

I had the same problem on my Remington 700 VS 308. After firing 20rds I noticed that the primers were pushed out further than the case head anywhere from .002"-.006" ( .006" is how much the shoulder moves in my chamber from new brass to properly fireformed). I am unsure if my load was too light or if I just have a rough chamber that will not let the brass slide properly. The only way I could get the brass to fireform properly was to lube the outside of the case same as you would to full length resize and fire. I hope this helps Playersc
Old 09-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> Nowler is correct, if he is getting 3 to 5 thousandths backout, this means there is a gap behind the case and the front of the bolt. This my friends is called EXCESS HEADSPACE! And 3-5 thousandths is not good. It is most likely caused by a sizing die that is not set up properly and is bumping the shoulder back a slight amount. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be my guess too. Doesn’t the firing pin slam the cartridge forward (or potentially)?

Really good info in this thread.
Playersc writes:[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> The only way I could get the brass to fireform properly was to lube the outside of the case same as you would to full length resize and fire. I hope this helps Playersc </font>

[/ QUOTE ] I thought this was dangerous, especially with excessive headspace as it doesn’t allow the brass to *stick* to the chamber but is free to do a CHS (Case Head separation).
Take a look at
Partial Full Length Resizing (PFLR)
Yet another reason not to use reduced loads. I want to use reduced loads so I can easily get BC numbers with the same gun/bullet but at different velocities (without moving the chronys)
Old 09-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Bigbore, you are correct on both, in the first, the firing pin knocks the case forward until it finally fires. The sides of the case grip the chamber and it sets the primer back. Worst case scenario is that you get a case head separation, releasing dangerous gases through the action.

[ QUOTE ]
I had the same problem on my Remington 700 VS 308. After firing 20rds I noticed that the primers were pushed out further than the case head anywhere from .002"-.006" ( .006" is how much the shoulder moves in my chamber from new brass to properly fireformed). I am unsure if my load was too light or if I just have a rough chamber that will not let the brass slide properly. The only way I could get the brass to fireform properly was to lube the outside of the case same as you would to full length resize and fire. I hope this helps Playersc

[/ QUOTE ]

Lubing the case is a bad idea. I would love to see a test design on this, as there is no doubt that you are creating an incredible amount of bolt thrust. Meaning the case is not able to grip the walls of the chamber, so the entire case is able to push back against the bolt face with much more thrust than is normal. With a heavy load, this "Has the potential" to be a disaster. It may not ever, but it is certainly not a recommended practice. Headspace problems can only be corrected properly one way, and that is by having CORRECT headspace in the first place, with a properly cut chamber.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:44 PM

I trim all cases to the same length, use an electronic scale to weigh each round, bullets are all seated to 2.80 oal. Use a wilson headspace gauge to set the resizing die, to spec. 41grs -42 grs of H4895 should be fine, not to lite, or to hot. Fired brass fits perfectly in the gauge.

Could be the FC brass is to soft after a couple of firings.
Primer pocker stretched.
Chamber is smooth and clean, bolt face looks fine.
Will try resizing and chambering until the bolt closes per
suggestions.
And will try a different brand of brass and primer.
Thanks to everyone for their ideas and suggestions.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

you're using a headspace guage to set your die,that's the problem.the difference between a long chamber(might be a little longer than it should be) and a go guage could be 8-10 thousands or more.set the die until the bolt just closes or a few thousands longer than before.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

I can't be sure what the problem is, perhaps improper resizing? But, for sure, the place to detect loose primer pockets is when seating primers. If they go in too easily, discard them, waste a primer, if you must.

Good hunting. LB