Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Pretty sure it's a newb question..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 05:43 PM

Pretty sure it's a newb question..

I understand the whole annealing process..

My question is, when do you anneal your brass in your reloading process ??

Is it after you've used the brass a few times and you just go about doing it, or do you set it up as part of your process during reloading.. If so when, or where in the process ?

Tux
Old 06-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pretty sure it's a newb question..

Although you will hear varying philosophies, I anneal after three firings. After the third firing, I put the brass in the tumbler and get it nice and clean. Then I anneal and after the brass dries, toss it back in the tumbler again. Then I go about my regular reloading process.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, it is a newby question but that's why many of us are here. It's much harder to help 'experts'!

When to anneal is one of those "this or that" questions, it's really not calibrated. And a LOT of people don't do it at all. I do, but for me it varies from 4 to 6 cycles depending on how bored I am! For sure, we should anneal the whole batch when necks start to split, OR toss 'em all out.

Annealing itself is more art than science so there's a learning curve; the difference in brass temp between too little heat to too much heat isn't much. If the brass doesn't get hot enough we haven't accomplished anything, if it gets too hot we will destroy the elastic spring back and that hurts accuracy.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM

Well I just tried annealing my first batch of brass, for my 22 hornet.. It was a little bit hit and miss, with the walls being so thin.. I basically went with letting them blue once I got the distance right, but a few went to red in color around the mouth of the case..

We'll see what happens when I resize them..

Thanks for the help !!

Tux
Old 06-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxdad View Post
Well I just tried annealing my first batch of brass, for my 22 hornet.. It was a little bit hit and miss, with the walls being so thin.. I basically went with letting them blue once I got the distance right, but a few went to red in color around the mouth of the case..

Thanks for the help !!

Tux
You didnt hurt them. Ya went a tad too far but they will still work A-OK
Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxdad View Post

Thanks for the help !!

Tux
Search youtube for brass annealing videos. Lots of good stuff there.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Annealing itself is more art than science
NO it is science it is all science your not drawing a pretty picture on the brass you are sofening it with heat.

look up templac. its a paint that disapers at a temp this wil help you keep the temp even.

think of it as science and you will be in the right frame of mind to produce good results.

art can go on the outside of the rifle not in the chamber.

note: kinda pretentius post but ow well its my thoughts.