Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

pressures and brass sorting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 PM

pressures and brass sorting

As I get older it seems I start to pay attention more closely. I have been noticing a pattern lately with groups that have one stray flier. This bullet almost always comes from a case that shows a lesser/different degree of primer flattening. Of course, sorting cases will prevent this but I still thought it was interesting.

Next, instead of weighing, I thought I might try filling cases to 98% capacity with 7 1/2 lead shot and transfer the shot from case to case and cull the brass that varies too much in its capacity. Seens a lot easier than using water. Has anybody tried this and had luck with it?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Re: pressures and brass sorting

I usually just use whichever powder I plan to load with, filling the case to the top and then weighing the charges as a comparison. It works best with powders that don't settle too much (small grained ball powder for example).
Old 12-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: pressures and brass sorting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LClover View Post
As I get older it seems I start to pay attention more closely. I have been noticing a pattern lately with groups that have one stray flier. This bullet almost always comes from a case that shows a lesser/different degree of primer flattening. Of course, sorting cases will prevent this but I still thought it was interesting.

Next, instead of weighing, I thought I might try filling cases to 98% capacity with 7 1/2 lead shot and transfer the shot from case to case and cull the brass that varies too much in its capacity. Seens a lot easier than using water. Has anybody tried this and had luck with it?

Thanks.
Weighing cases is one way and measuring the inside volume another. Flyers are usually the result of difference in neck tension or seating of the bullet too near to the lands of the barrel. I had the opposite - out of 20 cartrigdes I would have 3 flyers which would show high pressure on the primer. My solution was annealing and outside neck turning. This had sorted my problem.