Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Pressure "spikes" on Big Magnum Cartridges....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Silver Member

Kraky extreme copper fouling can cause increasing ......

pressure from shot to shot. I saw this once in a 6.5x55 Swede. We were loading at the range with my friend's 6.5x55. My friend fired a shot and we had to use a lot of force to get the bolt open. I pulled the bullets on his remaining loads and the loads were at the "starting" point in the Hornady manual. Upon inspection of the muzzle, the barrel looked as if it was gold plated. Twelve applications of Sweets later the barrel is clean. It amazed me to see how pressure sky rocketed because of the copper.

If you do not have a good cleaning regiment that completely de-coppers your barrel, copper fouling could be the culprit.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pressure \"spikes\" on Big Magnum Cartridges....

"Cold welding " comes to mind .

Long time loaded rounds will exhibit characteristics such as yours due to a " bonding of the bullet to the brass ( cold welding ) . A article in the latest Precision SAhyooter mag reccommmends final seating just before shooting .

Jim B.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

It wasn't the first time I'd noticed higher pressure on stored ammo. And, on another forum a guy complained that he had a super load for a gun that shot great when freshly loaded but terrible a year later.
Did the article give any estimates on what kind of pressure spikes could possibly happen?? Can you give me the date of the article....I may try and find it.
Thanks for making me feel a little more sane!
Maybe crimping equalizes the whole phenominon a bit more than non crimped ammo??
Old 10-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

If you measure your cases above the belt you'll see why your handloads are sticking in your chamber. They're not getting resized enough. It's a very common problem with all belted magnum calibers. Visit our website, and you'll see what you can do to solve this problem.

- Innovative
Old 10-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

LARRY--I actually have one of your dies. It works great on a couple of my friends custom weatherbies that seem to have somewhat "generous" chambers in the belt area.
We "reclaimed" enough brass the first night of ownership to pay for the die and it has been very well built. BUT the problem I'm having isn't related to sizing.....it's related to "high pressure" loads.....very bright extractor marks etc. Besides....do you even make a die that would handle the 30-378??? That case is really built and I haven't had any trouble chambering after sizing.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:00 AM
Silver Member

Kraky, if your pressure spikes are from "cold welding", the "other choice" to prevent galvanic corrosion , falsely called cold welding, of the bullet and case is to use molly bullets as it is proven to prevent dissimilar metal contacts. Overbore
Old 10-15-2006, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

Kraky1,
I doubt that you've had your ammo long enough to experience excessive pressures from bi-metalic corrosion, although I have seen it happen on ammo made during WW1.

I'm glad to hear that you're using our Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die for the popular belted calibers. Knowing this, I'm sure you understand the pressure ring above the belt. I'm 99% positive that it's causing your extraction problems. Measure your cases above the belt (and compare to a new factory case) and you'll know for sure.

At this time it looks like I won't be making a collet resizing die to fit the huge Weatherby 378 case. However, I have a long list of customers that want one for their 378. Manufacturing is getting too expensive for me, but if enough shooters contact RCBS - they might have enough interest to lease or purchase my patent ( I sure wouldn't mind that ...)

Also, if your hot handloads were made during the colder months - they could produce VERY high pressures during the summer months.

- Innovative