Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

pressure signs at 1 grain over books starting load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: pressure signs at 1 grain over books starting load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centxshooter View Post
Had the same rifle. Hornady brass is hit and miss and will jam. Get some Lapua and your chamber problems will be a thing of the past. As for pressure you dont mentioned your COAL (Load to book lenght if not) My rifle really like Retumbo. H1000 never gave me the accuracy. I used Lapua brass, 300 SMK, and WLRM primers.
I had a similiar experience with my Savage FCP. Much better results with Retumbo using either 300gr Bergers or Sierras, Lapua brass, I load .025" off the lands.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Bronze Member

Ridges on the outside edge of the primers dimple are most likely not a sign of over pressure but a sign of a bad fit between the firing pin and its corresponding hole in the bolt face or a sign of a week firing pin spring. Latest edition hornady reloading manual.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Bronze Member

Just a thought FL sizing could be creating excessive head space. Causing the primer to ever so slightly come out then get force back in during recoil. There is a technical term but I don't know what it is. Also measure the head of factory brass and then of 1 fired up to .007 is expectable stretch for a belt mag not sure for the lapua more than is another way showing excessive pressure I hope this makes since. I m not a technical speaker.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

Just for shits and grins, you could measure your "case" overall length, and compare it to you manual's "trim to" length. If this dimension becomes too long, high pressure could result.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:20 PM

Check your COAL. I think you are running the bullet up against the lands. That can cause a pressure spike if you do not give the bullet a little room to jump onto the lands. You want to minimize that jump for accuracy, but you want to have the bullet seated just off the lands. It will be different for every bullet/cartridge combo. I then back off 0.10" to get my seating depth. If it is difficult to open the bolt after firing, this can be an issue. If the powder measures are within spec and you are using new brass and full-length sized it or fired brass that has only been used once or twice and neck sized it properly, you should not see pressure problems if starting at low end of powder.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn338lapua View Post
ok so let me say i am very new to reloading. I am shooting a savage 111 LRH in the 338 lapua. i started putting some loads together and the book (Modern Reloading, 2nd addition richard lee) says to start at 83 grains. i am using H1000, Lapua brass and lapua scenar 300 gr and cci MLR primers #250. i shot a 3 round group with 84 grains. 1 of the primers flattened and all three show slight ejector circles. is this normal? should i try my load ladder below what the book recommends since i am getting pressure signs early? Also i tried FL resizing some brass that where making my bolt stick(also showed signs of OP), no improvement, any suggestions? i am using a RCBS FL die. am i going to have to shell out for a more expensive die? anyways any help would be great. thanks
Old 09-14-2013, 09:23 PM

thanks every one for the posts, i have lots to try but not a whole lot of time or money so its a slow process.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

I have found that it's best to forget the minimum and maximum book loads. Both are potentially dangerous. Look at several sources and pick the MIDDLE LOAD that is between the highest low load and the lowest high load. Start in the middle and work in the direction you want to go, which for me is usually the hottest accurate load that is not overpressure.

Many load books do not list the primer, case, barrel length and several other things that are important to how their listed load performed.

In the latest lawyer load manuals, I have had higher pressures at minimum load than maximum load. I generally never fire a load that comes up much below the shoulder of a bottleneck cartridge.

The safest loads are with powders that require you to fill up the case. A filled or slightly compressed load controls ignition much better than a loose load.