Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Press?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

Press?

Thinking about buying this press. It was bought when an older fellow sold all of his reloading gear to a guy in town. It is pictured next to a newer model rock chucker in this picture. Fellow wants 75 bucks for it. Looks like it's built like a tank.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: Press?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthntn247 View Post
Thinking about buying this press. It was bought when an older fellow sold all of his reloading gear to a guy in town. It is pictured next to a newer model rock chucker in this picture. Fellow wants 75 bucks for it. Looks like it's built like a tank.
Great press...I have one sitting under my bench. I have been using a RS5 for many..many years...loading up to 300RUM's. I even sold another one just like the extra one I have about 15 years ago for 50 bucks. I would not pay 75 for it, but would offer 50. If you don't have one you won't get one that quality for 75. It's used reloading equipment talk em down.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Don't get taken in by the green brand hype, ALL iron presses are built like tanks. There are no real individual advantages to any presses in the same class; if they look alike they will work alike. Press variations are in small features like how effectively does it catch spent primers, how tall is the cartridge opening, diameter of the ram, is the lever adjustable, etc.

I agree $75 is a bit more than I would pay for it, that's getting too close to the cost of a new Lee Classic Cast (which is the better press). If the CC had been available when I bought my Rock Chucker II my main press would be red.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

I do love my old rockchucker. But I agree with boomtube. Lee has a better press now. $50 would be a better price.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

For $75.....dont let it get out of your reach.

As far as $75 being too close to the price of a new LEE Classic....thats actually laughable. They arent even in the same league let along same ballgame forgetting the price
Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

"As far as $75 being too close to the price of a new LEE Classic....thats actually laughable. They arent even in the same league let along same ballgame forgetting the price "

Actually, I agree. My young friend's Classic Cast is so much better than my RC II that it's laffable to think of buying anything else!

His spent primer catcher actually works to keeps his floor and ram clean and free of primer cups/grit; his frame is strong enough for some jacketed bullet swagers; his lever is fully adjustable for side, length and angle to match the users desires; his ram has a larger, longer wearing, diameter; his was precisely bored/machined on CNC tooling; his takes cases up to .50 BMG with ease. My "wonderful" old RC? None of that!

The fact that the CC is also less costly is merely a small side benefit to those who haven't been hurt by the current administration and still have lots of spare cash but multi-dollar savings DO matter to the rest of us!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldnt swap 1 brand new RockChucker for 10 of any of the Lee presses. And although I think ALL of RCBS's stuff is too high priced...there are other brands I would buy on todays market...but Lee sure isnt one of them,