Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Which press?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Gold Member
I've got the Rock Chucker and it's been a great press. Mine is about 17 years old, the newer ones may not be as good???

Unread 03-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Silver Member
Well my next press will be a Lee classic cast, it has a larger window and ram travel that will make loading the big magnums alot easier. I've heard nothing but good things about them from people that have em, and it's only $70!
Unread 03-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Silver Member
Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post
I've got a couple of RockChucker presses and have never felt the need for anything else.;)

Others use different presses and are happy with them as well. Kinda like Ford and Chevy........although I drive a Toyota.
I hear you Dick. Thanks.

Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
Good ammo comes from good work methods, not auto-magic expensive tools.
I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that, but it's fun to have nice toys ;)
Unread 03-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Another vote for Forster

The Forster Co-Ax press has served me well. A very substantial press, it is capable of handling heavier-duty work as well as the smaller calibers like .223 or .22-250.

It is a little different from other presses. For one thing, the die is installed by inserting the previously tightened lock ring into a milled slot, instead of screwing the die into the press and then tightening the lock ring. This allows very quick die changes without moving the lock ring. You can remove the die and re-install it quickly without having to re-adjust the die (This is a BIG advantage). Also, this arrangement allows the die to "float" slightly in the horizontal plane while remaining rigidly held along the vertical axis.

A second design feature is the closed system for capturing the spent primer. The primer drops into a tube directly feeding into a closed storage cup. No messy and lead-laden primer residue can accumulate on or around the press.

Finally, there is a universal shell holder with spring-loaded jaws holding the brass case. When adjusted properly, these jaws hold the case while allowing slight "float" in the horizontal plane. This feature, along with a similar feature for the die mentioned above, is good for concentric sizing and bullet seating operations. If desired, a coventional shellholder adapter plate is available for use with standard shell holders.

Forster's tech support is very good. One of their reps patiently talked me through the setup. All of the information was in the instruction sheets, of course, but I neglected to read it thoroughly.

Good luck with your choice.
Unread 03-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I have a Co-Ax and a Lee Classic Cast single stage. They are both excellent presses. The Forster is more svelte in its linkage and movement out of the box. The Lee seems to be made like a brute that has slicked up after some use. If I had to go with one, it would be the Forster due to way it holds the case and the ability to change dies quickly.
Unread 03-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Bronze Member
I like the turret presses. Reddings more so than the RCBS. It is nice to not have to pull dies for each step.
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Bronze Member
I have a Redding. One press I cannot recommend is Hornady. They make a decent press, but when the two I had wore out, Hornady wouldn't stand behind them. Buy from someone who thinks enough of their product to offer a lifetime warranty. LEE is okay if you have to pinch pennies, but their warranty isn't anything to be proud of either. When I was looking to replace my last Hornady, the two finalists were Redding & RCBS.