Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Powder weighing problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Powder weighing problem?

Ok, I'm using RL19 with my 270wsm with a 150gr berger. All the data I've read says that this combo should have a max load of 60gr @about 3000fps. I'm currently at 62gr and have not reached 3000fps, however I'm getting no pressure signs. I'm using a rcbs 1010 scale. This has to be a scale issue right?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Powder weighing problem?

I don't know if your scale is accurate or not, and maybe you need to get a scale weight and check it. Published velocities are usually higher than my loads chronograph them at. You will have to decide whether the loads you are developing are safe and sane. I have exceeded written load data with some loads and with other rifles in other cartridges couldn't get near published max without getting signs of excessive pressure.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Gold Member

To many factors to determine. Barrel Length? Custom barrel? Chamber? Free bore, Temperature?

How close are you? what is the barrel Lenght is where I would start.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
To many factors to determine. Barrel Length? Custom barrel? Chamber? Free bore, Temperature?

How close are you? what is the barrel Lenght is where I would start.
Factory tikka 24" barrel. Im getting 2800fps with a 62gr load. Im new to all of this, however i am not seeing any signs of pressure. That being said im not an expert reloader either. Are there any subtle signs of pressure i can look for? Its just that im not getting any of the obvious pressure signs.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

emmagator,

No, it absolutely does not have to be a scale issue. You can verify the scales accuracy with a set of check weights, but my guess is, you'll find it's accurate. There's a host of other things that are likely in evidence here, beginning with the powder, the primers, the chamber or trhoats of your rifle and at least a dozen others, including your chronograph.

Have you compared this data against what's listed in other sources? This is precisely why I recommend that you have a good collection of reloading manuals avaialbel to you; it allows you to do some comparisons. If you do, you'll quickly see that there's quite a wide variety of velocities and charge weights shown between the various manufacturers. What one shows as a max load may well be a mid level load in another. They're both correct, but are correct in the particular component combination they used in their respective rifles. Change any element of that combination, includign just the case or powder lots, and you've changed the equation.

Don't get too stuck on chrono velocity figures. They're useful bits of information on the whole, but they need to be regarded in context of a broader picture. It's just one piece of the puzzle.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

scale concerns: 4-way level surface, proper zero and looking at the pointer from same place every time. Generally advertised velocities are a bonus, not a fact. 150 fps under is nothing unusual, pretty hard to demonstrate any actual real life differences in the field as well. Some rifles don't know they're supposed to show stereotype signs of high pressure. The beginnings of excess is generally a random occurence, a bunch of no signs with an indicator thrown in once in a while. different lots of primers and powders and actual physical conditions can and will turn that ocassional sign into a stuck bolt or to some degree even worse. Over looked signs are accumilative: excess barrel erosion and short brass life. It is totally possible to reach disaster before this happens, but if my brass will not last at least 6 reloadings without doing anything fancy to it, the powder charge quickly goes on a diet. Inconsistant velocities do not always occur with over pressure loads but can be a sign as well. I think I have the good habit of leaving the extra velocity in the powder can and saving my wallet in some cases it could be saving my face as well.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
scale concerns: 4-way level surface, proper zero and looking at the pointer from same place every time. Generally advertised velocities are a bonus, not a fact. 150 fps under is nothing unusual, pretty hard to demonstrate any actual real life differences in the field as well. Some rifles don't know they're supposed to show stereotype signs of high pressure. The beginnings of excess is generally a random occurence, a bunch of no signs with an indicator thrown in once in a while. different lots of primers and powders and actual physical conditions can and will turn that ocassional sign into a stuck bolt or to some degree even worse. Over looked signs are accumilative: excess barrel erosion and short brass life. It is totally possible to reach disaster before this happens, but if my brass will not last at least 6 reloadings without doing anything fancy to it, the powder charge quickly goes on a diet. Inconsistant velocities do not always occur with over pressure loads but can be a sign as well. I think I have the good habit of leaving the extra velocity in the powder can and saving my wallet in some cases it could be saving my face as well.
so if I'm reading this right, your saying its possible to not have pressure signs until its to late?