Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Powder storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Powder storage

I am getting my reloading bench kicked out of the house by my wife so I will have to reload in the garage now. The problem is, the summers get plenty hot here and the garage is no exception. I can expect 90F or better in the summer I bet. Will this be a problem for storing all my powder and primers out there?

I can probably find another spot if that won't work.

thanks.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Powder storage

[QUOTE=buckbrush;282818]I am getting my reloading bench kicked out of the house by my wife so I will have to reload in the garage now. The problem is, the summers get plenty hot here and the garage is no exception. I can expect 90F or better in the summer I bet. Will this be a problem for storing all my powder and primers out there?

I can probably find another spot if that won't work.

thanks.[/QUOTE )

Temperature swings are not good for powder or primers.

A constant temperature is recommended as long as it's cool,

And taking powder from an air conditioned room to a warm humid room will cause the powder
to degrade and absorb moisture greatly reducing the life.

I have a friend that framed in a small 6'x8' room in his garage, insulated it and placed a small air
conditioner in it to cool and lower humidity.Plus he keeps it locked and safe from the kids.

Just a though.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

"I am getting my reloading bench kicked out of the house by my wife"

The wife was talking to her sister the other day about where the reloading rooms should be. Her sister was makeing the B I L put his stuff in the garage when they have a couple of extra rooms in the new house. My wife laughed and said she would be in the garage before my reloading stuff was, heck she is lucky I didnt make the master bedroom my reloading and knows it... but to each thier own
Depending on your garage though its a poor place for reloading for a lot of reasons. Temp changes, clutter, dirt, distractions and just plain unhandy to name a few. Like JE Custom said though it might work great if you can build a room?????
Old 05-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

Hide it under the bed,she will never find it!I store mine in the house,but my Dad kept his in the garage for 15-20 yrs,through extreme weather conditions,from below freezing to 100 degrees plus and I could not see any noticeable changes in the powder that he had stored.That fifteen year old powder,still shot the same and chronograph the same out of my rifles.That still doesn't make me want to store my powder that way.You may need to find yourself a secret hiding spot
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Gold Member

My setup is in the garage. This has worked well, it's clean and quiet. I store all powder and primers in the house though. Just find a shelf in a closet you can use to keep these at a more constant temperature.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:23 AM
Gold Member

I have posted this before, and I know a few will debunk me, but I store all my powder and primers in a fridge. The temp is constant all year round, except recently when we had temps near 50 degrees C, and no fridge was working well.
A 'Cooler' also works well, the type with a sealed top lid is best.

I've had people say that this is a bad idea because moisture will form on the inside of the containers when brought into a warm environment, but this is not true, moisture forms on the OUTSIDE of the container but not on the inside.
As long as you keep the container sealed in between loading your powder measure and dumping any unused powder back into it, it will be fine.

Another thing I noticed is that velocity is more uniform over the life of the powder, with no loss over time as with powders stored in varying temps. (Which I used to do)
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:15 AM

Hi All
I use an upright five draw freezer (don't work) to store powder,primers and ammo in
have had no trouble with condensation at all,it gets really hot here 40/45cel and 5 to
10below freezing...have used this for the past fifteen years,this all kept in my garage..
bb